If Aubrey de Grey is right, you could live forever

He’s still not dead yet.

Aubrey-Plaza-what

4 Likes

4 Likes

We’r all dying, and everybody we love too. I’m saddened by how few commenters seem to consider that as a problem that should be solved urgently. Sure, it seems impossible to solve now, but that could be said of so many problems that science has solved in our lifetime. And scientific progress is accelerating exponentially.

Despite a $20,000 prize nobody has succeeded in discrediting SENS. I think it’s the best option we have at the moment. If you know a better one, then support that one. But do something…

1 Like

Worked out fine for centuries of humanity… We live and then we die. It sucks. It also gives life shape, purpose, and meaning, as well as connection to the past.

3 Likes

The real joke is that is my actual middle name.

And my sisters name, with out the “E”.

ETA - @Mindysan33 @Grey_Devil Before the staring contest gets out of hand - see above. ^^

6 Likes

bean-oh-you

8 Likes

You have a very strange interpretation of “worked out fine”.

We perform maintenance on our houses so they last centuries. No reason why we shouldn’t try to do the same for our bodies. Unless you are someone who enjoys having your body and house fall apart of course. :wink:

1 Like

Many thousands of years of experience has taught us that fretting about mortality hasn’t resulted in an end to death, but it does often reduce our enjoyment of life.

But hey, you be you.

3 Likes

Well I guess I don’t agree here. I think dying is bad mostly because it seems like a waste. I think our potential as a species has been held back by death and all the things which lead to it (mostly of our own making). I think we’d already stretched across the galaxy if we hadn’t been busy expiring all the time from one thing or another.

And i know you were joking :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are all here and living right now, right? We’ve managed to make some progress and extended our lives out some. Yes people do die, and we do miss them, but that’s why we should enjoy them while we can.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem to me, honestly. No one enjoys having their body fall apart, but It’s a natural process that helps define humanity.

There are plenty of times that death is wasteful, I agree. Wars and such, but that has little to do with dying a natural death.

I’d argue that the reason why we haven’t done it has more to do with our other moral failings and our inability to work together, not our own natural lifespans. When we do work together, we can accomplish great things, but death has little to do with our inability to do so. Our arrogance is what accounts for that, in my view. YMMV, of course, but that’s what I get from studying history.

2 Likes
Many thousands of years of experience has taught us that fretting about mortality hasn’t resulted in an end to death, but it does often reduce our enjoyment of life.

Many thousands of years of experience have taught humanity that flying, computers, modern medicine, etc. are impossible. So yeah maybe humanity should have stopped trying a long time ago.

1 Like

Death is also one of the things that prevents cultural stagnation. If not for death, Josef Stalin would probably still be ruling the Soviet Union with an iron fist. And on this side of the Atlantic I sincerely doubt our society would have been ready to elect a black man to the Presidency in 2008 if a significant number of voters had personally fought in the Civil War.

2 Likes

I think this is true up to a point. Societies change even within a generation. I think if we lived longer we’d probably be less afraid to express ourselves and explore more of what we actually are. Tyrants find ways to mess with society even from beyond the grave. So I’m worried about immortal Stalins since death will still be in the cards if they mess up which most often such tyrants do.

1 Like

Typically people do more of that self-exploration type of thing when they’re young and settle in as they mature. As Uncle Ben once told Peter Parker: “These are the years when a man changes into the man he’s going to be for the rest of his life.”

2 Likes

I think that’s a flawed concept since I’ve never changed in my supposed formative years. Like I’m looking at being 38 this July and I’ve done more in my life that’s changed me in the last three years than I’ve done in the previous 34. I don’t believe one settles down unless they choose to because of tradition. Our brains are flexible enough to cover more ground than we assume. It’s that our society and our science that holds us back (the former more so).

2 Likes

We don’t, and we’re on it.

4 Likes

She’s so good at that

She’s great, always cracks me up in Parks & Rec :slight_smile:

1 Like