If Duolingo came out in the eighties, you'd need floppy disks to install it

Originally published at: If Duolingo came out in the eighties, you'd need floppy disks to install it | Boing Boing

3 Likes
3 Likes

I love how duolingo has their own custom branded speech thing.

1 Like

Kids today will never know the sheer pleasure of setting up a new computer…

6 Likes

Umm - almost ANYTHING that came out in the 80s would have needed floppies to install, surely?

7 Likes
5 Likes

“or, you can build it yourself for only 15 dollars” :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s been downhill ever since for M$ Office tho.

1 Like

Not everything…

4 Likes

Brrrrrrr-deeeep! Chkchkhchkchk-weeeeee! Sqrlrlrlrlrlrlrl-weeeeep!

Aaaah, the Before Times. :grin:

3 Likes

ah the vic-20. where the 20 meant 20k of memory. :upside_down_face:

this will irrevocably reveal my age: but that was my first computer. poor little machine.

^ this was not pacman. but it was the best you had.

2 Likes

The Vic-20 had 5k, if I remember my Adrian Black correctly.

wikipedia implies that it was designed to get rid of 1 Kbit×4 Sram chips that commodore had an excess of. 10 chips would fit.

@jerwin already covered the memory, the 20 was a marketing adjusted nod to the 22 columns.

Snacman (sic?). Had that :smiley:

oh interesting! ive spent the last [redacted] thinking otherwise. really wish we could have a c64. the vic20 didn’t have a lot of uses

although, that said, i guess it did help me learn a language. even if it was kind of basic

I remember those days. I also remember the colorful language that would follow when I’d get to disk 17 or 18 and have the install crash. :^(

2 Likes

Even hardware, most of the time! Got to have those drivers!

1 Like

Did y’all catch that in the video? Silver Haze in the coffee shops of Amsterdam. What a weird name for coffee!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.