If ever there was a time to watch Chaplin's speech from "The Great Dictator..."

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/09/if-ever-there-was-a-time-to-wa.html

13 Likes

I would suggest a different classic for this occasion:

8 Likes

Thank you Cory.

That speech is something to keep in mind as we muddle through the next few days and then prepare for the coming storms. A reminder that justice and compassion are worth living for, especially as impending fascism threatens to consume our very souls with the darkness of hopelessness.

11 Likes

He even has the frickin’ hair…

1 Like

This classic has been looping for me

3 Likes

Chaplin’s words are timeless and stirring. It’s also a nice fantasy, that he’ll remove the mask and turn out to be a modest and kind man after all. But that’s not what happened.

The U.S. has done it: elected a preening right-wing populist to the executive branch, given him a majority of sniveling cowards, opportunists and other proto-fascists in Congress, and left him to fill a hole in the Supreme Court with whatever retrograde throwback he likes.

This being a democracy (for the moment) it is everyone’s fault. In our own ways we liberals and progressives thought it was impossible, but It Can Happen Here. And it did.

13 Likes

Thank you Cory! Human spirit–must prevail!

3 Likes

Oh, geez. Watching that, at this moment, I have never felt simultaneously so inspired and so helpless.

5 Likes

spirits are currently easier to reach

8 Likes

No, forget that. This the right movie reference:

2 Likes

Great work Cory,
This speech is a great piece that really helped me take a second to stop and listen!

1 Like

His victory speech was very… subdued. Then again three in the morning and all that entails.

4 Likes

It was certainly more magnanimous, especially towards Clinton, than I expected.

1 Like

When one dictator dies, another one will be born.

Rex mortuus est, vivat rex.

3 Likes

“Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another.”

Yeah, well, agree to disagree on that. It would be a better world if that was the case but it’s not.

Still great movie though.

Always expect him to take a bullet at the end of this. :worried:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.