If ever there was a time to watch Chaplin's speech from "The Great Dictator..."

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/09/if-ever-there-was-a-time-to-wa.html

I would suggest a different classic for this occasion:

Thank you Cory.

That speech is something to keep in mind as we muddle through the next few days and then prepare for the coming storms. A reminder that justice and compassion are worth living for, especially as impending fascism threatens to consume our very souls with the darkness of hopelessness.

He even has the frickin’ hair…

This classic has been looping for me

Chaplin’s words are timeless and stirring. It’s also a nice fantasy, that he’ll remove the mask and turn out to be a modest and kind man after all. But that’s not what happened.

The U.S. has done it: elected a preening right-wing populist to the executive branch, given him a majority of sniveling cowards, opportunists and other proto-fascists in Congress, and left him to fill a hole in the Supreme Court with whatever retrograde throwback he likes.

This being a democracy (for the moment) it is everyone’s fault. In our own ways we liberals and progressives thought it was impossible, but It Can Happen Here. And it did.

Thank you Cory! Human spirit–must prevail!

Oh, geez. Watching that, at this moment, I have never felt simultaneously so inspired and so helpless.

spirits are currently easier to reach

No, forget that. This the right movie reference:

Great work Cory,
This speech is a great piece that really helped me take a second to stop and listen!

His victory speech was very… subdued. Then again three in the morning and all that entails.

It was certainly more magnanimous, especially towards Clinton, than I expected.

When one dictator dies, another one will be born.

Rex mortuus est, vivat rex.

“Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness - not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another.”

Yeah, well, agree to disagree on that. It would be a better world if that was the case but it’s not.

Still great movie though.

Always expect him to take a bullet at the end of this. :worried:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.