If HP Lovecraft wrote the Monster Mash

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/18/if-hp-lovecraft-wrote-the-monster-mash.html

4 Likes

The Monster Mash is just monsters doing the mashed potato.

2 Likes

No use of “squamous”. Am disappoint.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Hey, and you put it on the Medium with the new peristaltic theme! Fun. Sketchport for images…yeah, could be lighter on vanilla.js than Pixiv. So you’ve gotten demo tapes from First Aid Kit and other 7-hour-set bands, right?

5 Likes

No “rugose”, “batrachian” or “eldritch” either.

And what about “cyclopean”? Nameless, eldritch horrors always sleep in cyclopean ruins, awaiting the moment when they are fated to wake and shred humankind’s sanity with their mad, terrible dancing.

4 Likes

You’re right, I admit, my thesaurus failed me

3 Likes

I think it was Charlie Stross that highlighted those particular words. “Squamous and rugose” is a running joke across a couple of the Laundry Files books.

Edit to add a relevant quote:

”…there’s a weird smell in the kitchen and something that’s, er, squamous and rugose”— a household catch-phrase, and we all have to make the obligatory Cthulhu-waggling-tentacles-on-chin gesture with our hands— “and yellow tried to eat my shoe.”

~The Atrocity Archives, Charlie Stross

6 Likes

Maybe I mis-speed-read the piece but I didn’t see lyrics. Rewriting a song usually implies new lyrics.

I was feeling rather squamous, late one night
When my tentacles rose in a monstrous fright
White-bodied nothings fell from the trees
And a rugose stench wafted in on the breeze…

yada yada

1 Like

The Gentleman would have had his creatures dance to sickeningly synchronized non-Euclidean rhythms. Maybe even rhythms from beyond time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.