"If we love, we grieve," Nick Cave gives fan heartfelt advice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/05/if-we-love-we-grieve-nic.html

14 Likes

What an incredibly true and compassionate response. Nick Cave gets my respect. Goddammit, I don’t even like Nick Cave’s music. sighs, updates “List of People Who Are Real Human Beings”

29 Likes

I really dig how he subverts the mystical question yet doesn’t discount his fan’s faith in the very least. It was a very respectful, heartfelt, and artful reply.

34 Likes

We’ll, apparently, he doesn’t believe in an interventionist God, but, darlin’, he knows you do. I’ve always had a soft spot for the tall antipodean. He’s got a way with words.

11 Likes

6 Likes

I had the pleasure of seeing his show several days ago. It was truly amazing.

“Nick Cave has always played with death. Now, he confronts it.” -Pitchfork

7 Likes

I’ve noticed that popular culture has been more willing in recent years to address grief and bereavement in the thoughtful and open way that Cave does. As a society we seem to go through long periods where confronting that loss publicly is generally acceptable and considered healthy (e.g. the Victorian period) and those where it’s considered taboo and morbid.

15 Likes

I’m jealous! I saw him in 1988 but would really like to see him again. Doesn’t look like a US tour is in the works though.

4 Likes

I don’t believe in souls, or the ghosts of others returning to us etc. But I really do love the occasions when dead friends visit me in my dreams. Part of the reason is that living on in the memories of those that love us is the only form of “afterlife” that I believe in. And that makes it not “sacred” but it does make it a wonderful experience to be treasured and respected…

Edited to add. A few of those occasions were so intense, that if I thought that it was possible, I would have believed that they were visiting from the afterlife rather than living on in my memories.

16 Likes

Yeah, he didn’t spend much time in the states.

https://www.nickcave.com/

NORTH & LATIN AMERICA

OCTOBER 2018

• 02 MEXICO CITY, MEXICO PEPSI CENTER WTC
  • 05 SANTIAGO, CHILE TEATRO CAUPOLICÁN
  • 08 MONTEVIDEO, URUGUAY TEATRO DE VERANO
  • 10 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA ESTADIO MALVINAS ARGENTINAS
  • 14 SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL ESPAÇO DAS AMÉRICAS
  • 21 LOS ANGELES, CA THE FORUM
  • 23 DALLAS, TX THE BOMB FACTORY
  • 25 WASHINGTON DC THE ANTHEM
  • 26 BROOKLYN, NY BARCLAYS CENTER
  • 28 TORONTO, ON SCOTIABANK ARENA

He’s doing a “Conversations” tour in Aus and NZ:

https://www.nickcave.com/live/

5 Likes

i think it’s because so many people have been thrust into sudden grieving through horrific acts of violence, and we are all exposed to it more now through the amplification of media.

6 Likes

“If we love, we grieve.” --Nick Cave

“If we don’t love, we still grieve.” --me

9 Likes

True. I wonder if some of it also has to do with the larger shared losses we’re all sensing in the industrialised West: of the environment, of liberal democracy, of the middle class.

10 Likes

“If we love, we grieve,”

Or, “If we love, we drink”, you decide.

7 Likes
6 Likes

I’m thinking Nick Cave is Neil Young’s long lost brother.

1 Like

Interesting. I just saw him in “Wings of Desire.”

5 Likes

I’ve seen him and the Bad Seeds here in Seattle. I think he’s really great. He’s just so… Nick Cave.

But I haven’t kept up with him. I’m probably five albums behind at this point.

5 Likes

OMG. You’ve got some great catching up to do. Does that mean you also haven’t heard the Grinderman albums?

3 Likes

I haven’t, but I think those were around even when I was an active Nick Cave listener.

1 Like