Nick Cave, Glen Hansard, Lisa O'Neill, and more performing moving tributes to Shane MacGowan at his funeral service

Originally published at: Nick Cave, Glen Hansard, Lisa O'Neill, and more performing moving tributes to Shane MacGowan at his funeral service | Boing Boing

2 Likes

There was a calm to Nick Cave that I don’t remember from other live performances. It’s almost as funerals are his domain and he’s home.

Glenn Hansard made me cry tears of joy, what a good craic. Just as Shane would have wanted.

9 Likes

Here’s a link to a video from the BBC if you don’t want to click on Twitter links - not full performances, but a nice short video. Shane will be missed.

Here are some of the full performances:

Pogues performing at the funeral

Fairytale of New York

Nick Cave performing

9 Likes

Photo gallery.

I do like the wicker coffin.

6 Likes

Was wondering about that when watching the clips… it’s nice and simple…

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to see Nick Cave last summer in Porto. It was like a religious experience, like being in (an actually healing) church. He was superb. And he had just lost his son Jethro. His music must be how he processes grief. He was brilliant. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

Really beautiful to see. Thanks for sharing these clips. What a life, what an exit.

2 Likes

Amazing. That’s how to do a funeral, damn it.

May that crazy beautiful bastard rest in peace.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.