If you don't agree to the new Wii U EULA, Nintendo will kill-switch it

FTFY. You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Is this update pushed to users in the EU? If not, what if you use a service to show you live in the EU?

Not sure i’d class any of those 3 as spyware myself, i know uplay is particularly restrictive, that if you buy a game on steam, say far cry 3, you still need a uplay account and have limited activations. Which is why i avoid it, as i did games for windows live, which being now defunct has left a lot of games abandoned incidentally. I believe sony’s own securom was deemed a form of spyware, they never seem to learn do they. The only content delivery i use is steam but spyware? The jury is still out, there are opt-in hardware surveys which will collect data if you choose to partake and i believe they offer unlimited game activations but of course it’s still drm.

I think the point is you are not tied to a single vendor and not prevented from even using the damn hardware due to new eula (for now anyway); there are many alternatives like the excellent gog.com who only sell drm-free games. Then once you get really involved in the pc gaming scene a whole world of mods opens up for you that are completely denied console users, you could probably blow a closeted console user’s mind showing them the amount of skyrim mods out there.

1 Like

If you want to know if it is spying, just do some packet analysis. I tend to avoid cloud-anything but I do use Steam, and, to my surprise, I have never had any problems with it. I put together a Windows box when Valve’s games were still DirectX only, and run it in the DMZ. If anybody spies on my game, they aren’t going to see much.

[quote=“politeruin, post:43, topic:43266”]
Then once you get really involved in the pc gaming scene a whole world of mods opens up for you that are completely denied console users, you could probably blow a closeted console user’s mind showing them the amount of skyrim mods out there.[/quote]

I agree! User-created content is what drew me into old games such as Quake and Half-Life. I like being able to hack the game assets to suit me, make my own maps, mods, etc. Also, between Id and Valve, they have done more to push for multi-platform support than everybody else combined. This is why we have some rudimentary support for gaming on Mac and Linux today, which is slowly building.

1 Like

This is exactly why I will never buy an XBox One. Remember all the hue and cry over things such as its “need” to have the Kinect on at all times (hey, Big Brother!) or connect to the internet once a day? And how, when it became clear that their insistence on those terms was going to lose them the next-gen console wars before the devices were even released, all of a sudden the “necessity” for those things went away? I’ve always suspected that not only were those things obviously toggleable, but that they would try to toggle them back at some future date after there were a sufficient quantity of XBones installed and active for people to be reluctant to switch consoles even if they found out about it. All it would take would be a mandatory update.

3 Likes

Apply this to the car you bought. Later, you have to agree to let them track your driving or your car won’t work. Is that ok with you?

2 Likes

I’m exactly the same with cloud services, steam is the only one i use and i would be very interested in someone doing a thorough packet analysis: it’s a bit beyond me i’m afraid. I probably give valve the benefit of the doubt far too much when these days you even have televisions slurping up your viewing habits (linky) though i think of them as the lesser of evils in the content delivery space, it’s funny how i’m happy using their drm service but don’t really want to touch origin.

Is this anything new, really? If memory serves, my PS3 requires me to agree to the T&C’s before installing any update - and if I don’t install the update, I can’t get online. It’s stupid, but I don’t think it’s new stupidity.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about old-school tabletop RPGs. When I DM and players want to burn the village down for fun, I just don’t award experience points and they get a bad rep with the NPCs in other places, which they then complain about in some entitled fashion.

I guess they think my game has a EULA. Silly players!

As has been said, the fact that the console prevents you from doing anything at all without agreeing – not just getting online – seems to be new.

Now, if the console made you agree before installing the latest update, that would make some sense. But I have the impression that Nintendo is enthusiastic about pushing these things onto users in order to close up security holes and wouldn’t want to make it particularly easy for people to keep their old firmware.

(The original Wii is quite trivial to softmod at this point, and there are flashcarts available for the 3DS that are only useable if you have a particularly old version of the firmware. I’m not sure what’s happening with the Wii U so far; it’s a little surprising they’ve managed to hold out for as long as they have.)

“Dost thou love me?”
. Yes
->No
“But thou must!”
“Dost thou love me?”
. Yes
->No
“But thou must!”

Etc.

Kinda. I only know of one case (but I’m not a lawyer so that doesn’t mean shit) where it’s come up.

“The Court also denied Linden Lab’s motion to compel arbitration, finding that the Terms of Service represented an adhesion contract that was unjustly biased towards Linden Lab.” (this is why you don’t ban a lawyer btw)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.