If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Miscellaneous trees and things on a recent lake float.

Many bald cypress trees (Taxodium distichum) along the shore. These are not really lakeshore trees – they prefer swamps – so we suspect that these were seeded here.

A baby bald cypress, maybe 30cm tall. (@Wayward note the wild spiderwort)

A group of huge shagbark hickory trees (Carya ovata) looming above the lesser trees in the foreground. We have one of these growing in our lot

Beaver lodge. We saw at least 4 such lodges around this relatively small lake. Because beavers are quite territorial, we guessed that these lodges are used by an extended family. Beavers don’t use their lodges during the warmer months, so probably no one home here.

I’ve always called this the “poison ivy tree” because its leaves look so much like PI. I think it’s actually a boxelder (Acer negundo), a type of maple.

Some kind of locust, probably a honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos), covered in spines.

16 Likes

Seeds from an ornamental in someone’s yard washed down the watershed. If you’re in NY state, it’s been naturalized there

7 Likes

Makes sense. (I’m in MD but I read that about NY)

5 Likes

Unseasonal cloud cover, even the possibility of rain.

15 Likes

Today in Keskuspuisto, Helsinki, Finland.

https://www.hel.fi/hel2/keskuspuisto/eng/1centralpark/

10 Likes

Pirate Party of Finland travels in style.

13 Likes

Ask or Embla?

2 Likes

Wild teargas blowers are returning, Nature is healing!

17 Likes

All right, more bloom action!

(The goldfinches will go after these purple flowers after a month or so)

Now waiting on the hibiscus and aster… (Due to social distancing, I never did bother going out to get our usual replenishment of geraniums, begonias and fuchsia)

Saw this a couple days ago. It’s thorny and, though I’m certain it’s not Toxicodendron, I wouldn’t want to touch it. But I did notice the blooms and wonder what it is (field guide didn’t help).

I thought these were phoebes, which used to visit our back yard a long time ago. But I think they're eastern kingbirds, a bit larger.

10 Likes

Sure it’s not just raspberries? It is coming into season now.

4 Likes

Hmmm… possibly this one? Seemed more of a vine than a shrub. EDIT: This seems closer. If it’s introduced then that might be why it’s not in the field guide (of wildflowers).

3 Likes

Oh! I’ve got one of the uppermost pic (pink flowers, spiky stems, milky fluid/sap when leaves come off). Do you happen to know its name, please?

4 Likes

Crown of thorns. We’ve had ours about 17 years and it’s grown back from when I left it out in the frost one night.

6 Likes

Yeah, certainly looks like some variant of raspberry.
Here’s a shot of my raspberries. And a bee as an added bonus

13 Likes

The passively-aggressive annoying neighbours have been at it all week, with surprise sand-blasting of the new concrete with great clouds of dust (luckily the wind was blowing the other way), tossing puny bags of soil and sprinkling grass seed as apparent repair of the huge gouges the equipment made in the lawn. (The seed isn’t going do a damned thing unless someone rakes it in and waters it.) Gravel between the houses that’s clearly over the line, which is going to force me to survey it and run a string down the property line. And I’m still wondering about the drainage of their entire concrete backyard down between our houses…

Tonight, I was outside and heard noises, went and got my flashlight: A cute juv racoon in a new trap cage. Okay, fair enough, they can be extremely destructive pests, but these are people who put out all their damned garbage, including kitchen, the evening before next day’s pickup! (Tomorrow)

The next time, it’ll probably be one of the skunks, come to the buffet, that’s trapped, and won’t that be a joy? (I’d think of a way to move the skunk-occupied trap to their front door, but at least one of the other neighbours has a Ring doorbell camera.)

Excuse me, I have to figure out the volume of that pool, and how many boxes of jello that would need.

10 Likes

Beware of Hedgehogs or Beware of Right-Wing Extremists?

14 Likes

13 Likes

Cuddle turtle!

7 Likes

does anyone recognize this type of flower? I am so into these colors!

14 Likes

14 Likes