If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

What kind of hat is UFO Teammate wearing? Looks like a pilgrim buckler

6 Likes

I think it’s a Safari hat with a belt.

4 Likes

ENHANCE!

His partner appears to be wearing a gold foil headband.

Also, their website is broken.

ETA: It’s Michael W. Hall, Founder/Director The UFOiTEAM, “The Paranormal Lawyer.” The hat is definitive:

13 Likes

I think this thread may have slashdotted their website :laughing:

8 Likes

Some interesting reflections at our neighborhood swimming lake

#symmetry
#AsAboveSoBelow

24 Likes

Spotted yesterday. It was starting to rain but I’m not even sure this car has a top to put up…

Spotted a moment ago, among the milkweed:

22 Likes

Bees making a mess. I have so many bees visiting the flowers but none have taken up residence in the bee house :crying_cat_face:

17 Likes

We’re getting bees all day, every day (except today, for some reason; a lot of skippers, instead) – not sure which kinds of bees; most of them are rather large but I don’t know if they’re bumblebees. None of them bother (or seem bothered by) me; the monarch I posted yesterday was the one insect that seemed pissed off (I went out to shake out a plastic bag; that’s how I discovered it because it was going nuts after I’d done that)

7 Likes

My cousin had one of those; built from a kit, mind. Got a ticket for going 25 mph. When he complained the cop said that it was for, “the appearance of speed.”

12 Likes

My first assumption is that that’s what I saw, because how many Cobras were there, and how many are left? But when I passed it, it actually said “Ford Cobra” and that looked a bit weathered (i.e. like it was approaching 60 years old). (Unless he bought a used logo and attached it…)

I used to have a Honda Express II*. It topped out at 35 mph, maybe 37 down a hill. I passed a house in our neighborhood while doing 30 (the speed limit) and the guy standing out front (fists on hips) yelled “slow down!” It was pretty loud, though, so I guess it just sounded fast. (Narrator: “It wasn’t.”)

*(Legally, these were “mopeds” which meant one only needed to pass the motorccyce written test to get a license. If one bothered at all (I did).)

13 Likes

If they are big like bumblebees but without fuzzy stripes, they are probably mason bees. The bees around here give no fucks as long as I don’t accidently touch them.

10 Likes

Would an AC Shelby be called a “Ford Cobra”, even with a Ford engine? Did it have a mustang on it?

3 Likes

I wondered about that, but that’s what it said – the word “Ford” with the word “Cobra” underneath it. No Mustang that I saw, nor the blue Ford logo. Granted I was driving, looking, and trying to take photos all at the same time…

Sounds like this one (who finally showed up). The abdomen looks more like that of a hard-shelled beetle. Seemed more ornery than normal, possibly it’s photography-averse.

Here’s a smaller bee, similar in that it’s not striped, either:

Saw some kind of swallowtail go toward that same patch of milkweed but couldn’t get a photo in time.

We do get striped bees, though I don’t believe they’re honeybees, also one kind with a noticeable schnoz.

9 Likes

Some Missouri springs seen on a recent trip…

Welch Spring, 8th largest in the state, 78 million gallons (295 million liters) per day:

Cave Spring, 18th largest in the state, 21 million gallons (80 million liters) per day. You can paddle inside, but I didn’t because of my mild thalassophobia.

Pulltite Spring, 16th largest in the state, 29 million gallons (111 million liters) per day.

Fire Hydrant Spring, so called because it gushes out of a hole just above water level:

A couple of very small unnamed springs right next to each other. One is a “bubbler” about the size of an extra large pizza; the other is a small pool just behind it.

Also cool: Akers Ferry, an old 2-car ferry that’s mostly powered by the river’s flow. I’m a ferry nut, (as I’ve mentioned before), but I’ve never ridden this one, because I’ve never needed to cross here, and they don’t allow pedestrians.

All of this on a 35-mile reach of the fabulous Current River in Shannon County, MO.

19 Likes

I remember seeing (unfortunately, not riding) a ferry like that in Basel, about 14 years ago.

7 Likes

I just looked it up – they’re called reaction ferries, and this might be the last one left in the USA. There are four in Basel.

ETA: I should have read your whole comment

6 Likes

I assume these are some kind(s) of Sphingidae (or, at least the first one hovering in the flower; the second one’s at rest)

17 Likes

Common buckeye visiting the clover blooms out front. Interestingly, I had thrown the pieces of a buckeye out there the night before (the buckeye had gone though the laundry in my pants pocket).

13 Likes

I think this is an American bumble bee. 1 inch long. If anyone can identify the plant she’s on, I would appreciate it. It just appeared in the bed and we kept it bc the bees like it.

13 Likes

Perhaps this?

“In its native range S. rostratum is pollinated by medium- to large-sized bees including bumblebees”

9 Likes