If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Maybe a football fan…

ETA there is a Penguin in your car…

5 Likes

7 Likes

I found this yesterday while looking for fossils at the Warren in Folkestone, UK.

The Warren is so dense with fossils (apparently something to do with the “maritime transgression”, which sounds positively filthy) that it advertises itself as a “family-friendly fossil hunting location”.

I pulled this out of loose gault, and it looks a lot like a tooth to me, but it seems waaay too big to be typical of the shark’s tooth fossils that people often find there.

I’m genuinely confused; it doesn’t look like a geological rock, but it also doesn’t seem to fit the location in which I found it.

Any ideas, good people of BoingBoing?

8 Likes

doesn’t look quite like a megalodon tooth to me:
th-3090073173
(cavandish banana for size ref. you’re welcome.)
BTW, Daytona/ Boynton/Pompano Beach area of atlantic coast florida is a megalodon tooth hunting “mecca” of sorts. true story.

11 Likes

Right? That’s what I mean. It seems too big to be a shark tooth, but too small to be a megalodon tooth. Is there a mediumdon…?

Depending on the curve of that Cavendish, it could be close though… :thinking:

7 Likes

brilliant! :clap:t4:

7 Likes

Realistically though, is it just a piece of flint?

(Jokey posters aside, I would love to find out what it actually is, even if that is “a vaguely tooth-shaped bit of rock”)

7 Likes

Yes, and it’s very happy there :smile:

And thanks for the link regarding the fútbol club. TIL … More to ponder. If I see that truck again I’ll look for more context clues.

4 Likes

I thought you were mistaken as the moon is pointing the wrong direction, but remembered you are a southern hemisphere dweller!

10 Likes

I was surprised when you and other northern mutants said that. To me, the moon always appeared the same way everywhere.

A song that have a moon mood for me.

10 Likes

4” doesn’t seem to be too unlikely. Don’t know, but probably worth checking to see if other teeth of that size have been found there.

7 Likes

Perhaps?

A bit on the big side though

8 Likes

I think it actually is a piece of flint, loads of them around where I live, and I used to live where finding megalodon teeth wasn’t super hard.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Your picture had me very confused

12 Likes

I wouldn’t but drinking paint beyond people from Espoo.

5 Likes

You beat me to it!

2 Likes

Next stop Krokodil…

4 Likes

Neighbour’s kids have outgrown their wellies.

17 Likes

It is cute.

8 Likes