If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Predominantly LEDs.

(Unless it’s a filter or processing algorithm thing. But I’m gonna go with LEDs, LEDs everywhere!)

6 Likes

I see what they did, here:

10 Likes
6 Likes

On my way to dress rehearsal, saw this lovely tableau in front of a U-U church:

Left to right: Japanese maple, redbud, and crabapple trees.

18 Likes

The tulips are coming!

17 Likes

This was the scene a week ago in front of the courthouse near my office.

I’m not sure why there’s a Columbus statue there but the flowers are nice!

13 Likes

Is it this one, I think? (I was hoping to find out exactly what the pilings on the base might represent…I’m still not sure.)

Columbus Park Monuments - Christopher Columbus : NYC Parks

This sculpture has been described as representing the navigator “standing upon the deck of a ship alone…before the West Continent burst into view,” ship’s tiller in hand, as his “mutinous crew have all deserted him.” Emma Stebbins (1815–1882) carved this colossal marble sculpture in the late 1860s. She was one of several female expatriate artists living in Rome at the time whom author Henry James dubbed “the white marmoreal flock.” The sister of Park Board President Henry Stebbins, she is best known for creating the bronze statue of the Angel of the Waters at the center of Central Park’s Bethesda Fountain.

Merchant and art patron Marshall O. Roberts presented this statue to the Board of Commissioners of Central Park in 1869, but they did not choose to install it. In 1934, it was discovered stored in the 97th Street maintenance yard in Central Park. Parks’s chief consulting architect Aymar Embury II (1880–1966) designed a new stylized limestone pedestal consisting of a fluted column on an octagonal base, and the statue was installed that year in Columbus Park (formerly Mulberry Bend Park) in Chinatown. In 1971, following the renaming of the southern part of Cadman Plaza in Brooklyn in honor of Columbus, the statue was moved to its current location in front of the New York State Supreme Court Building.

5 Likes

That can’t be safe

Dangerous stuff

Eggy Xmas

Finnish nature

12 Likes

Obligatory!

9 Likes

I don’t know why she’s still mad – I would LOVE Tom’s of Finland toothpaste!

7 Likes

I think she’s just confused…

8 Likes

One thing I found funny was that Tom had a character called Kake nickname for Kauko. To me that name has some connotations i.e. middle-aged alcoholic who drinks methanol and ethanol and sleeps under a rowing boat.

What are those trousers called in English?

7 Likes

Jodhpurs?

10 Likes

Clam-diggers? High-water pants? Culottes? Gauchos? Interesting that many of these terms are not English words.

ETA Capri pants!

5 Likes

Jodhpurs. Which isn’t an English term but one used by English for the pants on which they are based. Those were originally from India.

@vermes82 I think Tom of Finland was trying to draw a very particular type of leather police uniform
The expression on the woman’s face is amusing

6 Likes

Definitely.

8 Likes

Makes me wonder at what purpose the poofs on the side of the pants serve. As far as I can tell, decorative

4 Likes

I don’t have a picture but…

In my very red county, where trump flags and Brandon flags are everywhere and they have trump boat parades every few weeks in the summer, they are now flying Mexican flags because Cinco De Mayo. There’s a bar within ear shot that’s currently having and outdoor tent party with a few hundred people celebrating. They’ve had a trump train display since 2016.

3 Likes

Decorative for non-equestrians, referencing the loose upper fit of actual riding pants. (If you don’t actually need them for riding, then the poofiness can be more stylized, just for looks.)

6 Likes

Originally, jodhpurs were snug-fitting from just below the knee to the ankle, and were flared at the hip to allow ease for sitting in the saddle.

I’m guessing that leather cop outfit is for motorcycle cops so they are there for sitting on a saddle.

7 Likes