If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 2)

“Down with gatekeepers”

14 Likes

9 Likes

That seems to be a huge open wound. Kill a tree, save a baby? :angry:

3 Likes

I think it was dead before it was carved.

13 Likes

Not IRL per se but I was using my laptop IRL. Best to read this out loud.

6 Likes

NSFW door mat…

9 Likes

I spent some time trying to figure out what this group of things was. It’s in a new park.

As you can see, it’s right next to some outdoor fitness equipment and volleyball nets, and at first I thought it was for some specialized kind of climbing. But the fitness equipment all has helpful labels identifying what the pieces are for and how to use them, while there is no label for this. Then I decided that, being in its own separate, grassy area, it’s probably some public art. That “rusted” finish—that’s artsy, right?

As art, what do you suppose it’s all about? My take: It seems a bit bleak. I guessed it’s a comment on climate change…representing dead trees, in which woodpeckers have pecked holes all the way through? Kind of sad in a vibrant, fun-filled park, but what the heck, huh? Climate change has entered our lives.

And then I thought: Hey, you could hang hammocks from them…but that might seem insulting toward the art…

And guess what—when I got home I found a pdf online of plans for the new parks in that area, and it lists “Hammocking” for that park. And there’s a photo of similar posts, with people in hammocks hanging from them. (If you want to see that photo, it’s on page 34 here— Highland Bridge Park C Concept/Park C Amenities)

Conclusion: Art? Or Hammocking? Why not both?

What other things would you do with them? I want to run ropes through the holes and make a free-form giant spider web.

12 Likes

I’d bring my own travel hammock and hang out.

Husky Puppy Hangs Comfortably In Hammock GIF by ViralHog

14 Likes

I hadn’t even known that Hammocking was an official thing. This park is just across the road from the river. There are some colleges in the area, and you see students (I assume) in hammocks here and there, but they are hanging from…you know…trees. I’m not sure anyone would actually want to hang their hammock in the direct sun, except in the very early Spring or late Fall, you know? There is a small slender tree in the midst of these specialized hammocking poles, but it will be years, I think, before it grows big enough to tower over the spot.

10 Likes

I’ve seen a huge uptick in hammocking in Prospect Park over the last few years. This spring in particular, parents and kids, young couples, all walks posting up in trees all over the park.

10 Likes

This is how they left one of our rooms at work after a renovation. Whaddya do with that?

Also a 0 instead of an O makes me think of how Inspector Clouseau pronounced it

13 Likes

17 Likes

16 Likes

I wasn’t very good at it.

13 Likes

14 Likes

:thinking: No step on tenk?

12 Likes

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

11 Likes

Correct!

11 Likes

People could also set up slack lines.
My first thought on seeing them, though, was those cool sound sculptures in some parks. I’d want to knock on the posts with a stick or something to see what noise they made.

9 Likes

I read that as

None of that! Well, maybe a little…but just on the front end, okay?

6 Likes