If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 2)

I thought of that too!

I did not think of that!

8 Likes

Good advice. Its always safest to climb up the back of a tank.

Cantigny park in Wheaton IL encourages climbing on the tanks. Its pretty awesome!

11 Likes

Instantly made me think of Shoot Em Up. adding Monica Belucci to my search string to get the right scene made google turn off safe search *blush*

6 Likes

Decal on a MGM-52 Lance.

11 Likes

Scenes from Sedalia.

16 Likes

As a former graphic designer, that MO-PAC logo makes me swoon. And I don’t swoon easily.

11 Likes

Fun BBS coincidence, Monica Bellucci played Cleopatra in Asterix and Obelix: Mission Cleopatra.

4 Likes

That calls for a little traveling music!

6 Likes

Banana Vinagre, Banana São Thomé or Red Dacca.

13 Likes

would ya look at that!
they look so
 yum!

18 Likes

About how big is that?

(Needs a banana for scale, lol)

(My question is serious, though.)

14 Likes

It is slightly smaller and thinner than the Cavendish type, that is the most common banana in the northern hemisphere.

ETA2

Sure. It looks like something made by talented human hands. It is rare in Brazil. We do prefer other varieties here. Although you can eat raw, this variety is better appreciated cooked.

ETA

12 Likes

Bigger than I thought! Thank you for all the info :grinning:

10 Likes

There are some smaller red bananas too.

You’re welcome. They sold all the bananas before I could come back to the stall.

12 Likes

I’m looking at an English translation (by Google) of the lyrics
 What does “The banana hit the foot” and “The banana was in the foot” mean? (Google Translate also gives me “The banana went down” for the second one)

The Banana Hit the Foot

White feather

In my backyard
a banana tree was born
In my backyard
a banana tree was born
It’s been a week
I can’t stop thinking about it

If it’s nanica banana
If it’s gold banana
If it’s silver
If it’s not water banana

It must be from São Tomé
The banana was in the foot
It must be from São Tomé
The banana was in the foot

8 Likes

Oh.

“Deu” is the past tense of the verb “Dar”. It means give. “Dar no pĂ©â€ has two diffrent meanings. “Dar no pĂ©â€ can be hit the road, leave out or run away. “PĂ©â€ (foot) can be the part of the body that supports our weight and make us walk, but when associated with a fruit, it becomes synonymous with a tree. Thus, a “pĂ© de banana” can be translated as a banana tree.

It means the banana was in the tree (a banana estava no pĂ©). The singer is musing about which kind of banana sprouted in his backyard. He lists some different varieties: Nanica, D’água, SĂŁo TomĂ©, Ouro and Prata. So the title of this song could be translated as “The banana sprouted/bloomed in the tree”.

I really liked the songs by Pena Branca and his brother Xavantinho. They evoke the lifestyle of the countryside of the south-east of the country.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to teach!

I would not have figured that out by myself!

14 Likes

Thank you. Sometimes I can be very irritating when I start to speak/explain/teach.

8 Likes

IMO, the more the better :heart:

The bbs is such a great place to learn from each other.

12 Likes

I never noticed these in the grocery store before but saw them today, probably primed by this discussion
 I doubt they’re the same variety all the way in brooklyn, though my neighborhood tends to have more afro- and indo- carribean delicacies than you’d find elsewhere

12 Likes