Ignoramus watch: Designers really want you to decorate your room by shelving your books backwards

I love my books and have got quite a book collection. And I store them by topic.

Am convinced that I could quite easily pick the right title by despite storing it like this.

</book snob alert>

1 Like

I kind of store mine by topic as well. Art/illustration books, a few odd magazines, graphic novels, some of my nicer pricier/fancy books, horror, etc. I don’t have a big collection mind you but i like having them sorted though i haven’t reorganized my shelves since i moved in last year… i’m kind of ignoring it for the time being.

2 Likes

One of the mysteries of the universe, for me, is why designers and decorators hate literacy so much.

3 Likes

I’m the kind of guy who would be so distracted, I would have to ask if I could “fix their books” and start putting them back spine out.

6 Likes

They are much easier to ignite in this orientation

8 Likes

So long as you jealously hoard the boxes, you’re ok by me.

4 Likes

No, you’re a bad man for unrelated reasons.

Seriously though, I’m one of those people who buys books and never reads them. I always intend to read them but… a lot of them I don’t, so my bookshelf is full of stuff I’ve never read, and, at this point, probably never will. I even took all the nice looking fake leather books and put them on a shelf on their own so they’d look nicer.

It’s not really a problem about owning books you don’t read; I know I’m not alone as a book lover who owns books he’s never read. Nor is it about using books as decoration; I may have bought all my books with the intent to read them, but I’m not apposed to arranging them so they look nice. Like all decoration choices, it sends a message. Usually buying a bunch of classics and putting them on a shelf without ever opening them is an attempt to send a message that you’re smarter and classier than you really are. Buying books an deliberately putting them such that it’s impossible that anyone is reading them sends a different message. Namely, “I bought these to look nice, but I don’t want you to think I’m the sort the actually reads books, like a nerd.”

4 Likes

I store mine by size, when I’m in a tidying mood. Otherwise, they’re just on stuff that is flat.

They were also the people most likely to code their websites entirely in Flash (I am hoping wholly Flash-based websites are no longer A Thing, but as that may be Javascript’s fault, we’re probably totally Fermied).

1 Like

Reminds of that scene from Auntie Mame, “Books can be so decorative, don’t you think?”

2 Likes

Now I know why IKEA uses fake books - so they won’t incur the wrath of Cory.

2 Likes

In this new, fact-free world we live in, it makes sense. People can look at the blank edges of the books and see all those fantastic books they’ve read, they can talk about how they’ve read ALL the best books, and look, here they are. They’ll claim their collection of all the best books is better than anyone else’s collection of all the best books, and how you couldn’t name a single best book that they couldn’t point to, right there on that whole 5 feet of shelving, all of them, all the best books right fucking there.

The DSM will have to remove many if not most or even all of it’s entries on delusion when delusion becomes the norm. It already is for a large percentage of this country, and they can remove the exception for religion.

1 Like

Read less, Citizens. (“Read” soon to be replaced with the double plus good word “See”).

6 Likes

They’re mad that all books aren’t a good neutral 18% gray, and that it then clashes with a throw cushion or a lamp.

There is progress in this fight, somehow they made ‘steel cases’ a thing for dvd/bluray’s. Books are next.

2 Likes

I could live with that, especially if the cases protected the books as a full-on case. I wouldn’t need to buy as many replacements that way.

I have read thousands of books. I’ve only reread about 20, so I don’t find it necessary to be able to find a specific title that I’ve already read at the drop of a hat.

This describes me as well. I’m also a bit of a hoarder. A few years ago my wife finally convinced me to donate about 90% of the books I owned, and in retrospect I accept that that’s a much better outcome than storing them backwards on a shelf. This is a horrible fate for a book.

7 Likes

They are natural enemies. If you decorate on the basis of which books you want to keep around rather than based on any sort of design principles at all, you are not just off-brand, you are an existential threat. This is why atheists catch more flak than heretics.

3 Likes

then f*cking get rid of them. If you aren’t rereading them, and aren’t collecting them for a specific purpose like referencing that you’d have to be able to pinpoint the one you need, they are clutter.

8 Likes

Eventually i’ll likely need to get rid of a portion of my books, not looking forward to that day. I hardly ever buy books and its a big treat for myself when i do so selling or donating them is not a concept i’m thrilled about.

3 Likes

13 Likes