Ikea's founder was a Nazi, and never stopped praising the Nazi leader he called "Best Brother"

To be entirely honest I stopped giving too much thought about this, because

1. being who I am (just one random person in a country that is getting attention only because while the rest of the world wasn’t looking we’ve turned fascist) and not having much money, my options are rather limited when it comes to “what to use if not Company X”;
  2. giving business to one unethical company while denouncing another just as bad, or criticizing a company for being shit but still using their products/services, made me a hypocrite;
  3. I basically assume that every large and successful company has something unsavory in their past or present, anyway.

I mean, the meds that keep my friend able to function day to day are produced by Bayer. The meds that keep me functional are produced by Ferring which is less infamous, but has been involved in its share of scandals and unethical practices. The clothes I wear are most likely produced by child labor because I can’t afford fair trade clothes, my tech has been most likely assembled in similarly unethical ways and I can’t do anything about it. I pay my taxes to an infinitely corrupt government that is blatantly nationalist, racist, homophobic, climate denialist, Islamophobic, and just generally all-around fascist. And I could go on.

These days I soothe my conscience by going by a case-by-case basis (a supermarket chain that belongs to the government’s financial sphere? I’m not going into their stores, and so on), voting, supporting charities, and supporting organizations that fight the good fight and are able to exert more pressure than I personally am.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.