I'll just dip my bike in the water to clean it. What could go wrong?

No one else was expecting a sea lion to try to eat it?

9 Likes

I’m unconvinced; given where we were in the movie the terminator would just have to be more dense than iron, and as metals go iron isn’t all that dense. There’s probably a fair bit of tungsten going on in there, which is way heavier.

“The Terminator’s an infiltration unit. Part man, part machine. Underneath, it’s a hyperalloy combat chassis, microprocessor-controlled, fully armored.”

“Not density, heat resistance. T-600 models had a titanium alloy endoskeleton, but it was vulnerable to heat. Coltan alloys have a much higher melting point.”

Titanium much lighter than steel. Even with armor plating, the interior would be lighter. Plus for infiltration, it couldn’t be TOO much heavier, or you could just weigh them.

2 Likes

He should do like Weisberger and dip it in a vat of Coca Cola.

1 Like

“Wipe it down? But that would be such a hassle!”

2 Likes

I hope he’s cute, 'cause he sure ain’t bright.

1 Like

No one else was expecting a sea lion to try to eat it?

There was one swimming up the canal to do that but it melted.

3 Likes

You know, I feel like that was a good setup for a joke, but even I’m not feeling that dark today.

1 Like

No, man- the proper method is to disassemble the bike and wash each part separately.

I did say quick clean. If you want your bike fully cleaned then you should either take it apart, clean it, and re-grease the appropriate parts as you reassemble it, or take to a competent LBS or REI to have it done for you as part of a routine service (which you should do or have done anyway on a nice bike). But even a heavily used bike shouldn’t need that more than twice a year, and for most weekend riders it’s going to be more like every two years. Something tells me Canal Guy isn’t going to have a lot of luck performing his own maintenance, and I’m sure my neighbor wasn’t.

2 Likes

This is totally one of those “I was really just kidding, but okay, sure- Let’s roll with this” moments.

2 Likes

Confucius say: How the fuck did I get in Thailand?

3 Likes

Ah, my bad. Sorry for snappin’ at ya.

1 Like

poseidon will be a ridin tonight…

1 Like

Years ago when riding my then new mountain bike on a muddy trail beside a river, my tires slipped and once it got going I couldn’t stop the bike sliding down the bank into the water, with me attached. A couple in a row boat helped me get back to shore and I had to ride home wet.

And seriously, think of your bearings. Never immerse a bike in water.

1 Like

My bike has a protective layer of dirt. I would be a fool to remove it. I have been known to clean drive-lines but since I got a belt drive bike I just leave the moving parts alone too.

It was just melting into the iron as it sank.

The thumbs-up was an caused by an electrical fault as the control circuitry got deep-fried.

Oh, I didn’t take offense- I literally meant to keep it going.

It just amused me that my joke turned into an exchange of useful information. I had no idea REI offered that kind of service.

1 Like

No, he was lowered into it. He should have floated on top and then melted into it, or even if he only had partial buoyancy, stayed waist or chest high for a while, bobbing.

FYI - this is also what would happen if you fell into lava.

What’s worse than a dirty bike? Not having a bike.

I’ll tell you what’s worse. Snarky captioning in Thai, broadcast on the internet.