"I'm afraid of men on the Internet"

I take no issue with your position on this issue, but I do take issue with your use of the Poisonous M&Ms analogy to justify your position.

[From its entry on the Debunking Denialism blog:][1]
“Why is the poisonous M&Ms analogy monstrous?”

Because it can be used to prop up any kind of harmful stereotype about groups such genders, ethnicities, religious and political communities without having to engage the objections to unfair generalizations. In reality, the poisonous M&Ms analogy is a more manipulative version of the general tactic known as the “I know not all X are Y, but [flawed generalization]”.
…What sets the “Poisonous M&Ms” formation apart is that it is tries to defend discriminatory stereotypes by pumping intuitions in people who are statistically illiterate rather than to promote overt absurdities that most people already know are erroneous.

Why is the poisonous M&Ms analogy flawed?

Little to no specificity: because the argument has essentially no specificity, we can revert the argument back to the group making it. If white supremacists use it to support their indefensible stereotype of African-Americans as criminals, we can apply it back to white supremacists. If conservatives make the argument against liberals, the argument can be sent back with the corresponding stereotype of conservatives.

Assumes that “risk-free” is possible: the analogy also tries to exploit the human tendency to think that it is possible for an event to be risk-free. After all, the moral of the analogy is that even if there is a small risk of getting poisoned, it is reasonable to not take one. You only want to eat M&Ms if there is virtually no risk of getting poisoned, right? Most people would probably not eat one of the M&Ms even if there was a 1% or a 0.1% chance of being poisoned. In reality, any event such as walking across the street, traveling in a car or drinking a glass of water is not risk-free. However, proponents of this analogy would never argue that you should not drink water because of a small risk of choking.

Predictors exists: it is commonly believed that you cannot tell criminals apart from non-criminals. However, this is not true as there exists several predictors of criminal behavior: childhood maltreatment, failing school, poor moral reasoning and empathy, excessive alcohol and drug use, certain personality traits such as impulsivity and insensitivity as well as hanging out with criminals and extreme commitment to traditional masculinity (Bernard, Snipes and Gerould, 2010, p. 353). However, the analogy assumes that all M&Ms look the same whether or not they are poisonous or not. If there was a way to distinguish the two, it would not matter that a certain proportion are toxic as you could just not pick them.

Again, I want to emphasize: I completely agree that online discrimination against women (particularly by men) exists, is prevalent, and needs to be addressed. However, I strongly believe that discriminatory methods in the opposite direction will only serve to escalate the dilemma.

I sincerely apologize if it seems like I’m sealioning; it just really gets my goat when I see people employing such a harmful, logically unsound analogy that is as easily used to defend abhorrent ideologies as it is used to denounce them.
[1]: Poisonous M&Ms: The Irrational Monstrosity of Bigotry - Debunking Denialism

1 Like