I'm just a bowl cut and a sit and spin away from happiness

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/im-just-a-bowl-cut-and-a-sit.html

4 Likes

Got one for Christmas in about 1973. Used it once. Never again.

2 Likes

The flip side is that you’re just a bowl cut and a power wheel away from complete horror.

25 Likes

I was just converting some VHS from about 1994 and my nephew got one for Christmas. So they were still making them in the 90s. When I saw that video it made me want an adult sized one. I guess the teacups at Disneyland are a similar concept…

7 Likes

that little player is gonna pick himself up some twins!

3 Likes

I immediately looked for one.

10 Likes

Self-induced dizziness is the gateway to harder drugs.

9 Likes

This was one of those things I’d occasionally see in playrooms or pre-schools and get really excited about, do it once, then move on to the lincoln logs or whatever.

AKA a lesson in momentary thrills versus creativity it would take oh you know another 30 years or so to unpack properly.

4 Likes

They do seem fun, just want to play forever and ever. Danny is a little standoffish though…

4 Likes

…and getting shredded rotator cuffs.

Precedent for this specific crossover market has been established…

1 Like

My sister and I had the same model as kids except in red (the Sit & Spin, not haircut). The handle broke off but we figured out that we could spin much faster without it by walking our hands around on the floor in a gyrating whirling dervish, much like Taz. I’m sure I could find the home movie of it if I can find some time to track it down.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to kick baby swing for 47 years now

4 Likes

They make adult sized big wheels, so why not sit and spins?

capt-jack-bigwheel

Someone made one, at least?

http://thehomesteadingboards.com/diy-sit-n-spin/

And someone is selling one?

5 Likes

Ah, the early 80s, when I too had a bowl cut and a sit-n-spin! Those were the days.

1 Like
2 Likes

Back in college, at the college radio station, I went by DJ Sit-n-Spin.

Fer realsies…

3 Likes

IdleDampComet-size_restricted

2 Likes

We pretty much call them office chairs…

2 Likes

Looks like you spun until your shoes flew off!

Did you ever wonder what helped them spin? It was about 500 clear glass marbles, which my cousin and I discovered when we broke one open in the driveway and watched in horror as they all rolled down the drive and into the neighborhood.

2 Likes