Things I miss: the Big Wheel

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/04/things-i-miss-the-big-wheel.html

Things were tight in the 80s and I didn’t have the coolest or most toys. But I did have a Big Wheel.

It’s 2016, you don’t have to miss anything anymore.

No love for the Green Machine?

Things I miss: the Big Wheel
No you don't. You miss the Platonic Ideal of Big Wheel. The Platonic Actual of Big Wheel kind of sucked.

Look at the photos above, via IEK. Think again.

https://www.huffybikes.com/sliders/

None of those were genuine, original Big Wheels, two aren’t moving and none are on a hill.*

• [Edit: Note that this refers to IronEdithKiddRegular’s post, not the page, because the page is mostly blocked where I am]

You were lucky enough to have the Polish knockoff?

Ask, and the WebTubz deliver:

I had a Raleigh. More precisely, I had a Raleigh that was older than I was. I’m pretty sure that made me a proto-hipster, which would explain the mustache.

Like this commercial, we had a roving Big Wheel gang on my block.
I remember I was such a small kid, I had to scoot that seat all the way forward. My little brother had a Little Wheel, too.

There was a kid down the street who had a six-wheel rover that operated with hand cranks, but he was kind of a jerk so we didn’t play with him often.

Oh so much fun I had with my brother and our friends had zooming down the sidewalk racing each other with those and wearing holes in the plastic wheels.

Hey! I wondered why I was always alone… That thing had treads on the wheels, so it worked better on our gravel driveway. I would sneak out on the paved road and ride down the hill, but it really wasn’t very safe.

There was a kid down the street who had a six-wheel rover that operated with hand cranks, but he was kind of a jerk so we didn't play with him often.
The Wild Rider.

Put a cardboard appliance box around the big wheel. Apply aluminum foil and some upside down salad bowls, etc — SPACE SHIP.

Safety? We are children of decades where that word hadn’t even been coined yet.

Come to think of it, looking at the enormous bruise on my arm, I still haven’t quite internalized the concept.

That’s roughly the motto for childhood.

Thanks.

#Ooooooooh!

#wantwantwant