I'm loving this Reggae, Dub, Ska and Rocksteady internet radio station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/24/im-loving-this-new-reggae-d.html

4 Likes
4 Likes

skanking-5

6 Likes

SOMA is great!

“BootLiquor”, Americana Roots music for Cowhands, Cowpokes and Cowtippers gets me through many Saturday mornings!

2 Likes

SomaFM is a daily staple for me! I’m a paying member, and mostly listen to Groove Salad and Space Station Soma, but I love Bagel Radio when the living room is clear and I can turn the volume up!

I like reggae, can’t say I’m the biggest fan, but I will give the new channel a spin this weekend!

It’s great that they make so many channels available for free and with no ads and very little donation requesting, but if you can manage it, please subscribe at one of their insanely low monthly rates! They are worth it!

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve seen “love” and “ska” in the same sentence in 15 years.

Looks good. If they add Alpha Blondy to the rotation, I’m in.

Maybe hang around here more… plenty of us regularly express our love of ska…

skanking-2

5 Likes

Never heard of SomaFM before today. I’m 20 minutes in and already completely sold. I love everything about it so far, including the 90’s look to the site!

2 Likes

Big and long-time SOMA.fm fan here. My favorite channels:

SECRET AGENT
“The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. For Spies and PIs too!”

MISSION CONTROL

• ambient beats/music with NASA sound clips mixed in.

GROOVE SALAD
“A nicely chilled plate of ambient/downtempo beats and grooves.”

and several others. Always good.

2 Likes

just glanced at what’s playing… Horace Andy to The Heptones to Dennis Brown. totally bookmarking to listen to at work. thanks!

1 Like

My only exposure to ska was living next door to “Brad” Dunham of Five Iron Frenzy (we called him Nate). I guess FIF was pretty famous back in the day.

Nice kid. He had a dog named Morgan that my son used to play with and that we’d take care of while he was on tour.

1 Like

I installed the SomaFM plugin for Mopidy, now to configure it. (It’s a bit of a beta version for Python3.)

Ska is an awesome genre, you should check out the first and second wave bands. I’m not familiar with FIF, but it looks like they were big during the third wave. Very early Wailers is all ska instead of reggae. I think most people probably know the two-tone wave out of GB best, with bands like Specials and Madness.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.