Imaginary ISIS attack on Louisiana and the twitterbots who loved it

In this thread I have written mostly in shortest form what I have seen and my very strong suspicions when the drug/K9 dog is brought out to obtain probable cause to search a vehicle, bag, tent, or dwelling. I remain convinced the dog is often a prop to falsely obtain probable cause and to make anything discovered kosher evidence.
In my experience if there is not an immediate strong true indicate from the first walk around but entry is still desired the officer raises his playtime commands to a pitch, if the officer cajoles enough the dog almost always eventually weakly indicates sometimes with a pleading look in her eyes. Though they have olfactory senses far beyond what humans posess a dog is not a scientific instrument, think of a search dog as a disciplined, powerful, and decisive five year old kid seated in a cop car hoping to please his beloved alpha. The above is all subjective, it is like trying to disprove gods, ghosts, or magic.

So, you are saying you hold a strong opinion, with no objective evidence to back you up, and you want to enact change which involves other people doing things to your standards.

How novel.

Enough coincidence is very suspicious.

Your initial statement that pretty much implied all police sniff dogs are bogus raised a red flag with me, too. But you seem to be correct in that it at least seems to be the case sometimes, maybe a LOT of times, in some jurisdictions-which makes the whole thing pretty troubling. I like the the term they used in this article–“search warrant on a leash”. Jesus. Sounds like they need a lot more accountability and unbiased research into their real world effectiveness and usage.

Despite the wide legal latitude police dogs are given, there are few studies showing how successful, or unsuccessful, they are at finding drugs in the field.

But what does exist casts doubt on their reliability.

About a month after the results of the UC Davis experiment were released, the Chicago Tribune published a study looking into three years of drug searches by suburban Illinois police departments.

The study revealed that when dogs “alerted” officers to drugs, they were right 44 percent of the time. For Hispanic drivers, the rate was only 27 percent.

Police told the Tribune that when drugs weren’t found, the dogs were detecting drug residue that was left in the vehicles.

But that explanation is bogus, according to Lawrence Myers, an Auburn University professor who has studied police dogs for 30 years.

While residual odors can cause false alerts, Myers said, too many dog handlers often use it as an excuse, making it all but impossible to assess accurately the reliability of the dog’s nose or the validity of a search.

“Frankly, many times it’s a search warrant on a leash,” Myers said of the drug-sniffing police dog.

4 Likes

Yes, the ‘sniff dog only works by hand signals’ or whatever was sarcastic/hyperbole better explained downthread, @Daneyul that is a great link.

1 Like

This is so exactly the future of media speculation and conspiracy mongering. After 9/11 there was a pernicious rumor that Jews/Arabs were told to stay home on 9/11. Can you imagine if you had a sophisticated networks of twitter-bots and news editors all generating the same thing?

People would dismiss the reality-based community who realize that it’s all fake twitter accounts and made up news sources with, “Oh, that’s just your way of suppressing the truth!”

2 Likes

The email forwards of various hoaxes are quite enough to deal with. I usually respond with links proving that they are untrue, reply to all, and never got a word of acknowledgement back. Telling people that the thing they wanted to hear is false is apparently a somewhat thankless task.

3 Likes

I hate to intrude on a pissing match, and this may or may not meet anyone’s standard of “proof” but I’ll leave it here anyway…

1 Like

I know that the 9/11 attacks were faked because I saw the twin-towers still standing in “Ultimate Warrior” and that is set in 2012!

2 Likes

It was mostly me expressing myself badly, my sarcasm translates badly to text… also my speech come to think of it.

1 Like

I’ve been expecting someone to try this tactic on the TSA explosive sniffers. Maybe spread a nitrate fertilizer on the airport carpet or something.

Better: enhance the liquid soap for the bathrooms there with a chemical used as an explosive taggant. Cross-contamination will do the rest.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.