Impersonations à la Sammy Davis Jr

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/19/impersonations-ala-sammy-davis.html

2 Likes

He was a generous talent in all senses of the word. Thanks for that.

4 Likes

I love Sammy Davis Jr :slight_smile: very talented guy. Hadn’t seen this impersonation video before

2 Likes

I met the guy along with Peter Lawford on the set of a long forgotten film called ‘A Man Called Adam.’ My aunt was production secretary on the film, and had arranged for the producers to rent some of my toys (I was 10, maybe 11) to be used as props in the film. She also managed to get me on set for a little while where I met the cast.

Sammy Davis, who I was already taller than was as warm, kind, and as gracious as any performer I have ever met. He was patient and took the time to really simply chat for a while, even though I was breaking up a serious looking poker game.

As an aside, as much as I loved Peter Lawford the actor, I was far more in awe that I was meeting someone who had been married to a Kennedy.

5 Likes

Will pop on a Sammy Davis Jr. album as soon as I get home and pour myself a whiskey too.

2 Likes

Do we know what event this was? The YouTube video description doesn’t say.

Probably this event:

On June 20, 1965, Frank Sinatra organized a “summit meeting” of the Rat Pack in St. Louis as a benefit for Dismas House of St. Louis, the first halfway house for ex-convicts. Staged at St. Louis’ Kiel Opera House, the evening was televised via closed-circuit to select locations, where ticket buyers watched the live performance on screen.

Interesting. It’s like an early pay-per-view event. Maybe it helped inspire Jerry Lewis’s MDMA telethon, which started the following year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.