"Imported" Kirin not actually from Japan

[Permalink]

1 Like

At least it is actually BEER. Unlike most of the Wasabi people eat, which is horseradish and green food coloring

5 Likes

It says right there on the back of the bottle itā€™s brewed in Los Angeles or Williamsburg, VA, by A/B, and the word ā€œimportedā€ does not appear anywhere on it, soā€¦

Hereā€™s a link to the label in all its glory:

http://beer.findthebest.com/l/99/Kirin-Ichiban

And really, to be honest, itā€™s a beer one would rather have brewed nearby than far away. Itā€™s doesnā€™t keep well.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always found Kirin to be a run-of-the-mill lager that could be produced anywhere, so this doesnā€™t surprise me particularly. I just wonder how much culpability restaurants have. Every sushi place Iā€™ve been to sells Kirin as an ā€œimportā€, marked up accordingly. Do they share some of the blame or are they also victims for being told the beer they were buying for resale was imported?

Anyway Iā€™ve always found that a nice IPA goes better with sushi, and have no problem paying a little more for it.

1 Like

since restaurants regularly label ā€œGeorge Killianā€™s Irish Redā€ as an import, iā€™m guessing that they just donā€™t give a shit. or maybe Ireland conquered Colorado at some point?

8 Likes

They donā€™t. And good luck with the fish!

You know, Iā€™ve always been told that I should order Kirin over Sapporo, and Iā€™ve always, like the sub-taster I am, ordered Sapporo instead. My only beef with them is when they stopped making oilcans with handles. Those were the best.

You also see Sam Adams listed as an ā€œimport.ā€ That words does not mean what that word actually means when it comes to beer. Just means ā€œmore expensive.ā€

2 Likes

Looks like most of the major Japanese beers sold in the U.S. actually come from Canadaā€¦

produced at a Sapporo-owned brewery in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Suntory beer is not available. Orion Beer is also available, imported from Okinawa Prefecture.

Iā€™ll be on the lookout now for Suntory or Orion.

3 Likes

Oooh! Oooh! You must be one of those grammar-nazi vocabulary elitists who thinks words should mean what they mean, rather than what illiterate or donā€™t-give-a-fuck people use them for! Why do you hate the evolution of language?

4 Likes

So still imported, then.

1 Like

Sapporo is produced at a Sapporo-owned brewery in Guelph, Ontario, Canada.

I got no beef with that. Shipping a 99% water product in aluminum across the ocean is, after all, pretty stupid.

Suntory beer is not available.

Good.

Orion Beer is also available, imported from Okinawa Prefecture.

Interesting. Iā€™ve seen it in a supermarket in Japantown, and in a Izakaya joint in Berkeley that seems to specialize in Okinawan liquor (Ippuku, strongly recommended), but I always assumed they were importing it independently for novelty value.

Itā€¦lends authenticity, I guess.

1 Like

do you really want something shipped over in a huge Tanker that may or may not have previously contained bleach?

1 Like

Ahh, the soba houses in Okinawa. I donā€™t recall what beer I was drinking then, itā€™s likely I was happy enough to have communicated enough to get the beer and food in the first place. In fact, when I was in the grocery store, Iā€™d often do a Mystery Can by buying one of the chilled aluminum cans in what I thought was the beer section. Sometimes it was horrid green tea, other times a salty, brothy thing, and every now and again it was beer.
Occasionally Iā€™ll buy a Kirin, mostly because I think the can itself could be used as a bludgeoning device, but the beer isnā€™t bad while itā€™s cold.

1 Like

Comment by ā€˜beerisgoodā€™ from the original article:
The settlement does not require receipts for claims up to $15. Claims can be made on line at www.kirinbeersettlement.com starting next week.
Correction: claims up to $12.

Look out for Hitachino Next Beer, too.

http://www.kodawari.cc/?en_home/products/hitachino-nest-beer.html

I can get it at my local Whole Foods, most of the time.

2 Likes

It makes sense that A-B would brew Kirin, because it is a rice based lager, as is their ā€œBudweiserā€ (30% rice). Itā€™s hard to get a strong-flavored beer with rice.

Just about every Japanese restaurant Iā€™ve ever visited didnā€™t offer anything other than their run-of-the-mill Japanese lagers or Heineken. And Iā€™d take a Japanese lager over a Heineken any day. Which is strange, because Iā€™ve eaten at some pretty nice sushi places and youā€™d expect that theyā€™d understand the importance of pairing an excellent beer with excellent fish.

Even when I went to Japan, I didnā€™t find much in the way of ā€œbeer cultureā€ though I didnā€™t really get a chance to explore that much. I think I did have a Baird beer there that was pretty good - I think theyā€™re the local equivalent of Sam Adams. I also visited a place called Craftheads in Shibuya and they had some decent stuff on tap, but I donā€™t think the craft beer movement is very widespread in Japan at this point.

Exactly! Just like how the imported Chinese pajamas at WalMart are so much more costly than those from the tailor in town.

thereā€™s the Kiuchi brewery which produces the Hitachino Nest brand of beers. theyā€™re expensive and hard to find in the US, but iā€™ve thoroughly enjoyed the ones iā€™ve had. particularly, their ā€œreal ginger beerā€ is the only one iā€™ve ever tried that was good.

I remember some issues with Carlsberg ā€˜Exportā€™ that was (and is, presumably) brewed in Britain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/192166.stm