Improbable, beautiful ceramic teapots

[Permalink]

1 Like

As beautiful as these are I’m curious about their utility. As with wine decanters the classic/traditional shapes exist because they accomplish the base (or one of the base) functions of the object (for tea pots keeping leaves out of your cup, for decanters aerating wine). Most stylish, modern designs often have big problems performing these basic functions. And that bugs me. But I guess with a tea pot there are a few thousand otherways to keep loose leaves contained so it probably doesn’t matter much.

4 Likes

These look like Farscape props. And I mean that in a good way.

2 Likes

As an art critic, art historian and occasional clay thrower, I really thought those were Interesting!

I wonder whether they’ll ship the teapot to you in a Michel Harvey “cardboard” box.

2 Likes

So? Which one did you get?

Nice teapot. Clay is such a flexible medium for makers. Makers might like the novel ‘trustee from the toolroom’ by Nevil Shute. It’s a nondystopian novel from post ww2 point of view.

My main consideration with the shape is allowing the tea to circulate properly, so a more spherical pot would be better. Coffee is already brewed though, and some of those would look much better with a darker liquid anyway.

I highly suspect that there is no intent to actually have these things brew or contain tea.

In ceramics circles, the teapot has a lofty platform often only accorded to gods and the like. It truly is an archetype of sorts for ceramic art. There are entire shows dedicated to different artist’s concept of the teapot etc…

For a sculpture project, I once made a totally impractical teapot that was of classic form, but had had bb’s shot through it while still wet for a look not unlike those old cars that one sees dumped in rural america that have been used for decades of target practice. Moth eaten by projectiles, but somehow still holding together. Got a good grade on it as well. :smile:

Oh I’m well aware, Cory’s post seems to indicate that he might use it though. But more-so I’m rather annoyed that its considered clever or subversive to take a “simple” tea pot and make it deliberately non-functional or so extremely designy that its can’t be used. Its kind of a lazy approach to art, and we see it constantly everywhere. I’m more into things are simple and actually functional and practical, but still gorgeous (when we’re talking about this sort of thing anyway). There’s all sorts of kinds of teapots from around the world that actually work, and intended to used, and are still as good to look at as these things. And they’re actually clever, in that their form facilitates doing the thing their supposed to do (make tea) in several interesting ways.

I definitely agree. The sort of fetishistic position that the teapot occupies in ceramic art has always bewildered me to some degree.

I have to assume that there are a lot of people out there with less exposure to the arts that may not have known of this, well, what seems to me to be a weird quirk.

It is pretty odd. The “subvert the ordinary” thing that seems to be at the heart of a lot of it is the sort of statement that’s obviously unoriginal and seldom interesting; and a lot of them seem to be just poorly designed design objects sans statement. But the art world seems pretty insular these days, and a lot of it is being driven by a mentality that prizes investment pieces for the wealthy. So if tea pots shaped like Hitler, or rusted pipes, or decorated with images of sperm cells bring attention and sales or if people collect specifically them its going to become and remain a thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.