In 1945, a U.S. Army transport plane crashed in the highlands of New Guinea

Originally published at: In 1945, a U.S. Army transport plane crashed in the highlands of New Guinea | Boing Boing

Listen to the podcast first, then if you’re as curious as I was about a certain aerial maneuver described towards the end, check out this video:

4 Likes

Is this story the same as the book “Lost in Shangri-La” by Mitchell Zuckoff?

1 Like

My Uncle was a bomber pilot, The Jolly Rogers, in WWII. I have a unit History that included the loss of a plane in the mountains of New Guinea. The gathered up a some volunteers and went to find hte missing plane. They grabbed a cop at Port Moresby and hiked into the boonies go locate the downed aircraft an the missing crew.
Upon arrival they came across some indigenous folks and when pressed they were told that a group on the other hill killed and ate the missing crew. So they humped over to the other hill to confront the other group who plead innocence and said the group they were just talking to were the ones who dined on the missing crew.
It is a fascinating book with many unit accounts of bombing raids and war crimes against downed air crews.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.