In 1954, a social psychologist started a war between fifth graders

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/27/in-1954-a-social-psychologist.html

2 Likes

And lo’, when was Lord of the Flies published? yep, 1954 [wikipedia]. Parallel thought-process at the least; even if not for all sorts of academic connections enjoyed by William Golding.

5 Likes

I’m curious about how one starts a war among fifth graders when fifth grade is already a Hobbesian nightmare.

15 Likes

Many camps have a “color war” (eg, red vs. blue) the last week of camp.

4 Likes

Fascinating episode! Loved the boys’ reactions… “We just wanted to make friends”

2 Likes

“We just wanted to make friends”

kids can be so innocent.

3 Likes

Pokemon helps. A lot.

1 Like

My friend Nate used to manipulate us all just by drawing silly little “war maps” where he would make us dictators of our own countries. It was never stated explicitly, but the size of our territories would definitely fluctuate based on our recent “performance” as friends. I linkedIn stalked him recently…he’s a social worker.

2 Likes

I’m getting live action Jafar vibes.

would you rather fight 1 psychologist sized fifth grader or a 100 fifth grader sized psychologists?

4 Likes

Experimenting on school kids for psycological experiments was a thing back then.

There was one about racism I remember. It involved sorting the kids by eye color and telling one group they were superior.

4 Likes

"Social experiment" = [messing with strangers] + [involuntary participation] - [empathy] + [FOR SCIENCE]

Recommended viewing:
The Stanford experiment, The Wave, The Belko Experiment, and essentially anything from an “influencer” that comes with the hashtag “#prank”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.