In 1963 Goodyear introduced illuminated tires

In the modern restoration, LEDs are being used in the rim as stated in this video YouTube.

All in all, I am sure they could have made the electronics work for a price. I like the idea of tires flashing, perhaps as additional turn or break indicators.additional turn or break indicators.

What would have killed it, breaking, gawking and weight. The tires weigh 7 times as much as a regular tire. See video above. It is stated each tire weighs 150 lbs (68kg).

The tires are the least bonkers part of this car. It had both a steering wheel and a joystick for steering. It also had radar assisted breaking. If you think light bulbs used a lot of juice, I’m betting that old tube magnetron required a larger alternator. See Good Year video about the Sahara II.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Tesla coils for the win.

2 Likes

Of course it is! About the only custom stylist who could create something like that.
Ed ‘Big Daddy’ Roth would have had big’n’little slicks, and a huge rat motor with 4:71 blower sticking out of the hood! :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.