In a panic over fleeing advertisers, Facebook launches PR blitz to announce it is "a mirror to society"

5 Likes

Like I said, distribution lists.

Different email systems may have differing methods but most are similar. GMail calls it Contact Groups, for example. Using an offline email client as opposed to relying on webmail, may make it easier (depending on your email client, probably).

I also doubt this is news to anyone, but I am constantly surprised that people seem to think it is, and that it is too hard.

First Facebook came for my Granny and I said nothing. Then it came for my Aunts and Uncles and I said nothing. Then it came for my friends, and I said nothing…

EXACTLY!!

ETA It seems to be spreading.

9 Likes

The “Waffle House Index” comes in handy yet again*

*I keep an eye on the Waffle House here on this island during hurricane season. During a storm threat, uf WH is dark… get the hell to high ground!

4 Likes

Facebook is the mirrored surface of a reservoir whose owner is responsible for maintaining potable water quality.

4 Likes

I’m with you on this, @gracchus. I think it would be a net benefit, and perhaps a HUGE net benefit, if Facebook went the way of Friendster, MySpace, etc. and died (I still mourn the destruction of tribe(dot)net, though!).

I had been away from FB for years, opened a new account since it was the only way to reconnect with certain folks I wanted to connect with, but I have not warmed to it again at all.

It’s like swimming in a cesspool in an horrific panopticon. We have other ways to connect, or can build them. Let’s do that instead.

5 Likes

I deleted my Facebook account and started taking the bus to work instead of driving. There are now 2 fewer ways in my life for other humans to disappoint me.

10 Likes

ok, understood. Wouldn’t you agree though that advertising (at least to the spectacular extent that exists today) is economic dead weight / has little lasting value to society?

5 Likes

Are these companies leaving Facebook, or “leaving” Facebook? Will they be advertising again there a month from now? Have any of them deleted their actual Facebook profiles in protest?

8 Likes

Well, you and I can agree to our hearts’ content but it will make no difference to the corp’ns.

And no, I do not really agree. Imagine if there were no advertising. How would you even know about many of the products/services you buy/consume? Oh, you didn’t mean NO advertising, just not to the spectacular extent of today … so, where would you draw the line?

Corp’ns would not spend money on adverts if they did not have an economic benefit. Even when the extent of advertising was much less, it was always true that they always knew half their ad budget was wasted, they just didn’t know which half. With digital channels, they now have a much better idea (though not always - the system can be gamed) and so you can be sure their ad spends are more effectively managed today than ever in the past.

The bigger question is whether much economic activity itself has lasting value to society; advertising is just a by-product/symptom, but not itself the source of the problem. On that, we’ll probably agree.

1 Like

laugh-spit

14 Likes

I’d love to know what Chobani’s favorite color is. Corporations are people, after all.

4 Likes

Sure, there is some need for companies to communicate to be about what they have to offer, same with being able to find out what bands are playing as some have mentioned here.
I really like the idea that our Internet infrastructure be publicly managed, like other utilities. Facebook is primarily a communication service, no? Be it for sharing pictures of the grandkids or spreading the word about that widget shop you just opened. In these Facebook discussions I hear a lot of “I simply can’t delete my account!”
So should facebook be demonetized to the point of being publicly managed? And what could that do for advertising?

2 Likes

Yeah, none of those reasons are real. In 2005 there was no Facebook, and folks kept in touch just fine. You’re making excuses now for why you’re clinging to it. And that’s fine if it makes you happy, but you’re only lying to yourself and telling Facebook “keep being evil, I won’t quit you.”

I left. I told family and friends why I was leaving on my last Facebook post. Some even used that as a reason to quit, too. If they want to chat, they know how to pick up the phone.

8 Likes

11 Likes

In a statement, Denny’s said: “As America’s diner, we offer an inclusive and welcoming environment where all people can enjoy a nice meal and we strongly oppose hate speech of any kind.”

Denny’s: serving Black people as quickly as White people for over two decades.

3 Likes

Facebook is one “mirror” that screams to be broken and ground into dust.

5 Likes

The only two solutions are anti-trust action or treating the FB group of companies as a regulated public utility. Zuckerberg obviously wants neither. Advertisers leaving is the only thing that moves him, and even there it’s BS cosmetic changes and PR stalling.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Facebook Inc is a mirror of its own unprincipled and unrepentant greed.

5 Likes

Like this?

13 Likes