In an act of heartfelt patriotism, this Capitol rioter fled the US to hide in Belarus

“Love it or leave it” I guess…

4 Likes

That whole situation still bothers me. It was both (as it turns out) more accurate than she knew, and the crap she got was entirely undeserved, given that the comment was in the context of talking specifically about neo-Nazis and white supremacist groups who had come out in support of Trump. That Trump supporters more generally took issue with that should have had the press saying, “Oh, so you admit you’re a white supremacist?” in response rather than acting like she had maligned all his supporters.

12 Likes

Welp, the majority of the media, both the conservative networks and the supposedly progressive or liberal networks (as well as whatever newsprint is still around) are focused on selling ad space, and nothing generates an audience more than outrage and controversy.

7 Likes

Just another Mill Valley gangsta.

2 Likes

Here;s the complaint

https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1411351/download

“As J.M. attempts to pull the metal barricade out of NEUMANN’S hands, NEUMANN, now using the barricade as a battering ram, lifts the barricade off the ground and rushes toward J.M. and the other officers, crossing into the now-broken police line and striking them with the barricade.”

Assault charges. They’d have to prove deadliness and bodily injury, but " imprisoned not more than 20 years" might be a realistic possibility.

5 Likes

As much attention and outrage was focused on the (accurate) word “deplorables”, the “basket” word choice was the real problem in that comment. “Basket” used in that sense is a term of art used by economists, statisticians, and marketing experts but rarely by politicians speaking to the public.

For educated people, that poor choice of jargon fed into the (not entirely unfair) perception of her as a technocrat who thinks of voters primarily in terms of demographics rather than in terms of people. That was the kind of tone-deaf statement that turned off people who might have shown up to vote for her (contrast with the “deplorables” who wouldn’t have voted for her even if she never said it).

3 Likes

I just wish that more of the January 6th insurrectionists will follow Neumann’s lead. If living under a dictatorship is what they want, may Lukashenko grant their wish.

2 Likes

Oh, for a CIA operative during the Belarussian rainy season.

1 Like

All the seditionists should fuck off there. Maybe they’d finally be happy. The judges so far can’t seem to be arsed to give them suitable sentences anyway, so let 'em go live in mr L’s hell. I hear hungary’s “prime minister” likes hate-filled bigots like himself, so that might be another possibility…or do we have an extradition treaty with orbanland?

2 Likes

In retrospect it absolutely was about all his supporters. All of them are white supremacists whether they admit it to themselves or not.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know if she was more right than she realized, or she was downplaying it to be political (and ironically that got lost).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.