A fugitive insurrectionist got homesick and turned himself in

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/24/a-fugitive-insurrectionist-got-homesick-and-turned-himself-in.html

10 Likes

Kinda puts “Make America Great Again” into perspective when a MAGAt can’t tolerate living in another English-speaking country with a high standard of living…

22 Likes

He musta missed his nazi brethren.

14 Likes

Episode 5 Wiggle GIF by The Simpsons

10 Likes

“More than 1,400 people have been charged with federal crimes related to the Jan. 6 attack.”

And still the #1 Traitor that incited all their behavior walks free to this day.

21 Likes

Maybe he thinks he’s going to get pardoned in a few months. I hope he is disappointed if so…

14 Likes

From citizen information.ie:

You may be extradited from Ireland to countries if Ireland has extradition agreements where certain conditions are met including:

• Not a political offence or one connected with a political offence. The definition of political offence was initially quite wide but has now been narrowed considerably. In general, it does not include terrorist type offences.

He and his papers probably got laughed out of the Dail.

21 Likes

And I suspect that was the only reason he returned - that, and perhaps the belief he could avoid prison because of the recent Supreme Court ruling and/or a future Trump administration.

12 Likes

The irish government, probably…

Sean Flanagan Laugh GIF by FoilArmsandHog

7 Likes

Really he would rather be in prison than in Ireland, its not like Ireland is bad, thou i wonder why he picked Ireland did he have duel citizenship or some sort of other link, or was he one of these American’s whose 12th great grand father was from Ireland so thinks hes Irish.

3 Likes

If he had Irish citzenship he wouldn’t need to claim asylum. If the US government sought to extradite him, he would argue in court that the charges were politically motivated and he would not get a fair trial in the US, etc.

2 Likes

I’d be a little curious about what his funding situation looked like. A guy who, according to this article, got a deadline extension on reporting to prison “for his seasonal employment at a theme park in Georgia.” might not exactly have a princely retirement-in-exile on hand; and I’m not sure what the local employment situation would look like for a 56 year old with a laughable asylum claim, 24 prior criminal convictions unrelated to that asylum claim, no employment permit, and a pretty-strong-for-not-needing-tourist-visas but definitely not Shengen Area passport.

If he really knows how to work the crowdfunding angle that might substitute for him; but I don’t know how much is available for relatively low-tier randoms who were allowed to plead down to 3 months.

3 Likes

I feel this option is as close to a certainty as possible

4 Likes

And he probably found out rather quickly that Ireland is a modern diverse country rather than whatever 19th century fantasy he had in his head.

11 Likes

And they all speak with funny accents! Talk English! /S

7 Likes

That’s a b-b-bingo! I can’t imagine how he felt about the regular, and large Palestinian solidarity marches.

8 Likes

He probably expected them to have Boston accents

9 Likes

I didn’t know that was an option. Sign me up!

Sub Pop Good Luck GIF by Sub Pop Records

9 Likes

Some speak a fureign language, even! This is Ireland, speak Amurican! /s

He’d accept NY accents, tho. Just not whatever they’re talking like in Cork…

Also… obligatory…

6 Likes

If one of your parents is/was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, you have citizenship. If one of your grandparents was born in Ireland you can sign up for the Foreign Births Register and get citizenship that way. Other than that if you’re resident in Ireland for the prior year and 4 out of the previous 8 years, or if you’re married to an Irish citizen for 3 years and resident in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years you can apply.

3 Likes