In China's once poverty-stricken villages, former peasants manufacture a single product for one retailer

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/16/in-chinas-once-poverty-stric.html

3 Likes

Ding, unlike nearly every other adult in the village, never left.
I’m go’n work that into my next song.

4 Likes

280 of the 206 households

I am impressed.

6 Likes

Company towns are a long-term disaster, and very bad for individual freedoms, but hopefully they’re an intermediate stage to a more diverse economic base.

8 Likes

Me too. It’s sadly a typo here. The article says 280 of 306.

3 Likes

So China discovered sharecropping? Interesting…

1 Like

“Through Taobao, you can escape bitter days. E-commerce runs toward the road of happiness.”

Now go make some dildos!

2 Likes

Late stage capitalism.

Those sound suspiciously like virtues, if you happen to be set to be retired before the long term hits and not all that interested in the peasants getting ideas.

So that’s where all the rubbish on ebay is coming from.

1 Like

Economic monocultures are a stupidly dangerous thing.

3 Likes

Yes they are, but note the key phrase “once poverty-stricken”. If I’m drowning, I don’t nitpick the clothing choices of someone throwing me a lifeline.

4 Likes

They were a monoculture before when their economy was to produce food to barely feed the villagers. Now they have at least one industrial economy, which means more money and training in industry that means they could get a job in a different factory - which in China have to house their employees and feed them.

EDIT

It also means other companies can be forced to move there by the government because there are triaged employees. China loves to do that stuff.

1 Like

I’m imagining the workaday life of the itinerant door-to-door photo backdrop salesman. Kinda like Willy Loman in a play that only lasts about nine minutes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.