In-N-Out Burger sues DoorDash, claiming 3rd-party burger delivery is a trademark violation

I’m given to understand that she already has a banana.

Sorry buddy.

(Note the conspicuous name change in the article.)

I live about a mile and a half from an In-N-Out, and would be more than happy to ship you a double double. I’m sure it’ll be delicious when it arrives!

2 Likes

Ours is about that same distance, but I just cannot think of a good way to ship an In-N-Out burger.

I think the recipient would not be as stoked as the sender.

1 Like

I wonder if Instacart will go get me one?

1 Like

This is why we can’t have nice things.

I was just writing about something related to this recently. I think there is an imminent possibility of someone developing a combination of an open mobile commerce platform and Bluetooth and 4G enabled smartlocks that will facilitate the creation of Digital Dabbawala, Digital Automats, and mobile-enabled Dispersed Hotels.

1 Like

I have moved literally hundreds of burgers from various places to my home and distributed them to friends and family. I do not require permission to do so, even though I am not authorized by the places that make the burgers.

DoorDash’s logo looks absolutely nothing like In-n-Out’s. There’s no confusion here. In-n-Out just don’t want to have anyone making money off something they don’t do already. They can setup their own delivery system, or make all their customers sign contracts promising not to move burgers around. Or they can, you know, just fuck off, because they’re transparently looking to either illogically expand their trademark rights to the point of laughability, or otherwise being assholes.

2 Likes

Well fuck InNOut Burger then. I hate them!

1 Like

Probably worth pointing out that their business model seems to be different from whatever equivalent business you have around you, they seem to be popping up a lot. How the ones local to where I am work is that they actually contract with the restaurants, not sure which way money flows, if it flows at all in there.

Not a lawyer, but I don’t see any trademark issues here unless they’re not, in fact, delivering In-N-Out burgers.

1 Like

There’s several systems like that for takeaway food in the UK. JustEat is the biggest. It was on Dragon’s Den, who all said it was a stupid idea, and it went on to make millions. Never underestimate a drunk Briton’s desire for terrible kebabs :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.