In Nevada, Tyler Turnipseed desperately leads a losing battle against 'Zombie deer'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/in-nevada-tyler-turnipseed-de.html

5 Likes

Do we want the walking dead, cause this is how we get the walking dead… probably.

12 Likes

I just started playing The Last of Us. Is this where it starts?

5 Likes

At least a late-period Margaret Atwood dystopia.

4 Likes

prion disease

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

4 Likes

I think I saw this movie

2 Likes

Tyler Turnipseed

That is a quality name.

15 Likes

Hmmm, this tales puts a new complexion on this previous story.

“They’re coming to get you, barber!”

9 Likes

That is a straight up Marvel Comics name.

“No-one knows that Tyler Turnipseed is…The GAMEWARDEN!”

8 Likes

If they can rampage through a hair salon on Long Island, nowhere is safe.

1 Like

Not sure why we are making light? Chronic Wasting disease, or Deer Mad-Cow is pretty serious. There are few cases of it being transmitted to humans, but the risk is always there. Here in Minnesota it is endemic in the southern half of the state. We are also a deer hunting state, and everyone I know eats venison from time to time. Including me and my family. My husband participates in a monitoring study, donating deer spinal cord etc. to researchers. We use processors who are very careful to exclude nervous system tissue from the meat, and my husband hunts in the northern half of the state. Minnesota just started prohibiting any deer imports into the state (for farmed deer.) It’s pretty serious stuff.

13 Likes

Wow. I am so glad I was not drinking when I got your barber line. You win the internet for today.

1 Like

Considering that it’s the deer version of Mad Cow Disease, (aka Creutzfeldt-Jakob in humans), you are absolutely correct.

We already know humans can be infected by animals. CWD and Lyme are two serious, and growing, issues exacerbated by climate change. Even if we don’t all die from rising sea levels and heat-shifts that will hugely disrupt the food and water supply, we are staring down what is almost as close as reality can give us to a real zombie apocalypse. I don’t mean that lightly. It’s quite literally deadly serious.

11 Likes

In all seriousness, yes, that’s very true. It is something we should be concerned about, especially if it’s similar to Mad Cow. It’s what I was jokingly trying to get at.

[ETA] and @MalevolentPixy, it appears I owe you a coke…

4 Likes

vCJD is obviously a horrifying and scary disease, but the incidence is very, very low. And in this case, we’re not even sure if (for this possible source) it is greater than 0:

To date, there is no strong evidence for the occurrence of CWD in people, and it is not known if people can get infected with CWD prions. Nevertheless, these experimental studies raise the concern that CWD may pose a risk to people and suggest that it is important to prevent human exposures to CWD.

Which is interesting, because it’s far more widespread in cervids than I realized:

Nationwide, the overall occurrence of CWD in free-ranging deer and elk is relatively low. However, in several locations where the disease is established, infection rates may exceed 10 percent (1 in 10), and localized infection rates of more than 25 percent (1 in 4) have been reported. The infection rates among some captive deer can be much higher, with a rate of 79% (nearly 4 in 5) reported from at least one captive herd.

5 Likes

One of the chief symptoms is deer crashing through beauty salons.

I suppose this is a form of BSE or Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. So, don’t eat any ungulate central nervous system parts, guys, or you too…

2 Likes

Hey, that seems a bit harsh. Some of his movies aren’t too bad in a cheesy way.

jcvd

3 Likes

Wasn’t there an outbreak (maybe too strong a word) of CJD in the UK a few years ago, blamed on BSE?

1 Like

Here’s a wikipedia article that provides an overview.

I’m definitely going to lay off eating squirrel brains.

3 Likes

Thanks. That has narrowed down my self-diagnosis quite a bit.

1 Like