In "Northbound," Jan Hakon Erichsen perfects the art of bread crushing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/03/in-northbound-jan-hakon-erichsen-perfects-the-art-of-bread-crushing.html

1 Like

The piece features a similar destruction vibe as his previous work, and while the balloons have typically favors do appear, “Northbound” mainly features lots of loaves of bread, along with wood, rocks, wind, leaves, flowers, and more.

I still don’t know what bread crushing is. This essay makes no sense.

2 Likes

I gather you’ve never stapled bread to a tree, so there’s really no way to explain it to you.

“i’m crushing your bread, i’m crushing your bread.”

4 Likes

3 Likes

while the balloons have typically favors do appear

Does not parse.

But if “have” was supposed to be “he”, it would.

@JenniferSandlin (Oh right. No such handle. I know you have one, but I’m not keeping a written record of it to refer to, or keeping front and centre in my brain, unsurprisingly.)

As for the rest of it, if a couple of teenagers had been doing this not so long ago and putting it on YT, it would just have been a couple of teenagers arsing around, rather than “terrific art”.

1 Like

Dinner theater for ducks?

2 Likes

yes it’s supposed to say “he favors” – trying to fix it now, thanks!

1 Like

Artists: they are like normal people, only more self serious. Not as self serious as Right-wingers, of course.

In the swimming scene, I wondered if Norwegian bread is similar to the sponge-like Dutch bread, which is surprisingly lightweight for its volume and usually can be compressed (crushed?) to 10% of its volume with ease.

1 Like

Like croissants!

2 Likes

What makes you think he takes himself more seriously than you do?

1 Like

I don’t know for sure, but I feel you’ve got to invest your activities with a certain amount of gravitas in order to view them as Art rather than simple japes. That if the artist doesn’t take their work “seriously” then what weight do they carry. I mean, R Mutt, for example, was making a point.

But then, I am an extremely shallow person. Really, I’m like 2D. :man_shrugging::+1:

Not really, no.

3 Likes

This reminds me of Rebecca Moss’s video art pieces, my favourite of which is ‘Shark’:

Nah, I think you’ve got it there actually. I can agree with you that he’s more invested in this stuff than what you or I would be. After all he has built his whole career around it. But it doesn’t necessarily follow that he takes himself particularly seriously. If he did there are plenty of better career paths to take, he could have gone back to being a painter for example.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.