Meet the online community that staples bread to trees

Originally published at: Meet the online community that staples bread to trees - Boing Boing

5 Likes

At least it’s not to cats so that’s a relief.

4 Likes
11 Likes

We all knew where this was going:

Just look at it.

ETA:
Though pedants argued about it, their mod decreed that for their purposes, this banana plant was treeish enough for their needs:

10 Likes

Do they argue about what fastener counts as a staple? Does using duct tape count? Are the there staple/tape flame wars? What does the wild life think?

3 Likes

I’m so glad you asked this because that means we’re not alone here! I read this out to my partner who then asked me to put the BB link in our household Slack instance so we can all read it. We tend started to discuss that with all the details re: type of bread, type of tree, etc. there certainly should be discussions about the staples, the stapler used, and other esoteric details. Knowing communities like this, I guarantee that some members have very strong opinions about these details and other people are Doing Things Wrong.

7 Likes

There can be only one.

3 Likes

If you collaborated with someone on the other side of the planet, to lay down a slice of bread on the ground at the same time as you laid down a slice of bread, would that set a record for largest sandwich?

and then you could break it again, by adding a slice of cheese…

10 Likes

From their sub reditt rules…

1. Said STAPLE must affix said BREAD to a TREE.
  2. Many things are BREAD. Please read the Acceptable Bread List below for what constitutes BREAD.
  3. Most things are NOT STAPLES. Figure this one out by yourself if you cannot then this sub is not for you.
  4. Apply Rule #5 again, but substitute the word TREES in place of the word STAPLES.
5 Likes

9 Likes
3 Likes

Huh. A couple years ago I saw a slice of bread stapled to a tree in my neighborhood and had no idea what it was about. After reading the OP, I still don’t. (It was some generic wheat sandwich bread on a linden tree, for those keeping track.)

3 Likes

My brother says it sounds like a gateway activity that could lead to Extreme Ironing:

2 Likes

And also

I’m trying to find some good links to when zefrank’s The Show did this in ‘06, and the run-up to it, but it’s all a bunch of reuploaded videos. The loss of The Show surely must be confirmation that the Old Web is dead.

6 Likes

A re-upload, but it’s on Ze Frank’s YouTube account, so probably as official as we’re going to get these days…

4 Likes

This was a big hit around Detroit and may be appropriate for a topic about bread.

Yeah Toast.

2 Likes

Seems like this planet sandwich thing is old hat. It’s time to make a sandwich out of the Sun. Toasted, of course.

4 Likes

… hold a piece of bread up to the sky, and have your collaborator upon the Counter-Earth hold up another piece of bread on the other side of the Central Fire at the same time :fire:

5 Likes

Now that we’ve puttered around a bit on Mars, it seems it’s past time for a double decker planetary sandwich.

2 Likes

There has never been a slice of bread on Mars :thinking: