Subway's sandwiches aren't actually made with "bread" rules the Irish Supreme Court

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/01/subways-sandwiches-arent-actually-made-with-bread-rules-the-irish-supreme-court.html

9 Likes

It never smelled like bread to me. Quite disgusting in fact. I have never been able to step foot inside a Subway store because of it. Now I’m not surprised why.

Maybe they could just sandwich the salad and meat between two cookies and call it a day.

31 Likes

I still can’t get over the fact that the cold cut trio is all turkey. .

13 Likes

I noticed that a local burger joint offers a beef pattie between two doughnuts. I don’t know if they include frosting and sprinkles. Maybe this is more common than I realize.

7 Likes

What’s the Irish courts opinion on hot dogs? Is a hot dog a sandwich? :hotdog:

21 Likes

When I worked there in the 1990’s, the meatballs arrived the size of marbles and would have to soak overnight in a giant metal bowl of water to expand to meatball size. I don’t think actual meat does that.

23 Likes

Diabetes subs.

Try Diabellas subs instead- awesome bread.
Just found one of these a couple days ago.

6 Likes

46 Likes

Let them eat cake?

12 Likes

How did they rule on Irish Soda Bread, or as they probably call it, soda bread?

8 Likes

Meat pies can be delicious, but meat-filled cakes don’t appeal.

4 Likes

Last time I ate something from Subway, I was up near Buffalo. I was starving after driving 8 hours and really just wanted to grab anything. My choices were McDonalds or Subway right near where I was. I figured a steak and cheese would be impossible to screw up.

Yea, I was wrong. I didn’t even get through half of it. Felt ill within an hour.

I promised myself that day, I would never ever again allow someone I love and care for to eat Subway.

9 Likes

Yeah, they make a big deal about how they bake their own bread … but it’s crappy bread. Aside from that, their sandwiches are actually ok, IMO. But the bread is really substandard and over decades of operation they have stuck to the same crappy formula, as far as I can tell.

10 Likes

…for tax exempt status. They’re allowed call it bread still.

I put it in the good stuff thread earlier, as I think this is a good development

The Grauniad article here links to another article about banned flour bleach that they had to take out of their dough in Europe. Which might explain the burnt plastic and carpet dust stench.

10 Likes

@Akimbo_NOT I have a story for you.

I went to college in a small town in Appalachia. If we wanted to eat food not from the campus dinner and not drive an hour each way, Subway in the was really our only option.

Than one day, the waste water processing plant had an issue and had to vent built up gas. The Subway must have been prepping the days bread when this happened.

That day we happened to grab a late lunch at the Subway. We didn’t noticed until we got back to the dorm that the bread REAKED of sewage.

11 Likes

I think technically they’re eclairs.

26 Likes

Ewwwww!

I have heard of others having similar issues with the smell of Subway bread. It’s like how some people are revolted by the smell of cilantro. I love cilantro! I wonder if the extra sugar content changes the smell somehow. Probably just their yeast.

4 Likes

Surely the sugar adds to the sickly sweet child vomit end of the smell, I think the yoga mat/carpet underlay chemical provides the plastic and dust smell.

It was a topic of conversation at work for a couple of years. The stink that is.

7 Likes

It’s American bread. Full of sugar, no texture, and utterly disappointing in flavor.

17 Likes

Not bread for VAT purposes, but bread nonetheless, without regard to your personal feelings about Subway food (I don’t mind it, but I’m also a man with little real taste in food substances, it’s a criminal weakness).

8 Likes