In Russia, debt collectors may sexually assault you or burn your children to get you to pay up

[Read the post]

Š„рŠøстŠ¾Ń, ŠŗŠ°ŠŗŠ°Ń Š¼ŃƒŠ“Š°Šŗ!

5 Likes

Wrong pronoun, and ā€œŠ„рŠøстŠ¾Ńā€ has a rather specifically liturgical ring to it. I believe in the appropriate vernacular it should be ā€œŠ“Š¾ŃŠæŠ¾Š“Šø, ŠŗŠ°ŠŗŠ¾Š¹ Š¼ŃƒŠ“Š°Šŗ!ā€

9 Likes

In Soviet Russia, debt collect you?

16 Likes

So itā€™s completely legal to rape and burn people in Russia if they owe you money. Wow.

I mean thatā€™s what the headline says, right? So Xeni, how much does Buzzfeed charge for their headline writing seminar?

9 Likes

Xeni isnā€™t a journalist. Thatā€™s a mistake Iā€™ve made, as well, before I was corrected. Or rather, she is a journalist, but not on Boing Boing. Sheā€™s not a journalist in the sense that an inkwell is an inkwell. Sheā€™s an inkwell. An inkwell is a journalist. A journalist is a journalist. To be an inkwell is to be a journalist. A journalist inks well. A well-inked journalist is not.

Hopefully that clarifies.

5 Likes

Often it seems like some journalists canā€™t tell the difference between ā€œwe canā€™t prosecuteā€ and ā€œitā€™s legal.ā€ I assure you the judge knows the difference.

4 Likes

The scary thing? Debt collectors in the US are probably watching this and thinking of ways to make it legal to do that here.

5 Likes

ā€œMayā€ can also mean ā€œmightā€. Nothing about the headline implies that itā€™s legal unless you really want to read that into it (which one may do if they felt the need to make disingenuous criticism I guess).

11 Likes

Using your stance on the intent of the use of the word ā€œmayā€ here the headline becomes meaningless. If the implication is that someone might do something illegal and get away with it isnā€™t new information.

The headline was meant to imply that this is, on some level, accepted practice in Russia. Itā€™s bait.

5 Likes

66 Rubles to the US Dollar, they are hurting for sure.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ruble%20to%20the%20dollar

I took Latin in high school. Google Translate is responsible for this one.

3 Likes

But is it not in fact, on some level, accepted practice? Itā€™s accepted practice not in the sense that it isnā€™t covered by a criminal code, or that it doesnā€™t attract the disapproval of the citizenry, but it appears to be accepted practice in the sense that offialdom tolerates debt collection shenanigans.

Russia is hardly alone in that, though this is written from a perspective of outrage which seems to have got your goat a bit. How are you more disappointed with the dramatic drawing of attention to injustice than you are with the injustice itself?

If itā€™s not effectively legal, then surely the authorities can punish these people and get redress for the victims? Itā€™s one of the other no matter what the penal code or constitution might say.

8 Likes

Iā€™m sure Xeni is glad youā€™ve explained what her intention was. She probably wasnā€™t able to articulate it herself.

8 Likes

Yes, it implies itā€™s becoming accepted practice among some number of debt collectors in Russia, which is what the article is saying. No, that doesnā€™t mean the headline implies itā€™s fully legal or widely viewed as socially acceptable. Youā€™re reading an extreme and unrealistic meaning into this headline.

9 Likes

No, it doesnā€™t. If it did before I got here, it now says debt collectors may. The collectors got away with the crime. Therefore they de facto may assume they can do it. For example, I may smoke weed in downtown Austin provided I donā€™t walk up to a cop and blow it in his face. Itā€™s illegal. I may do it anyway. If you take issue with the headlineā€™s implication that collectors getting away with it means they can expect to get away with it in the future, then fine (though I will point out that even if officials make a few examples with actual investigation and prosecution of the criminals, it will probably be because the media gave the crime attention). But when you change the meaning of the headline to suit an unsupported reading of it, that undermines your argument, and defending the mistake doesnā€™t change that.

8 Likes

Itā€™s all a matter of greasing the right palms.

1 Like

I just got a PM from @xeni, and she is disappointed in BoingBoing.

Canā€™t believe she gets on the list before I do, totes misandry.

14 Likes

Itā€™s all in the delivery.

8 Likes

Or at least figure out how to get away with it. They already do a lot of things that are illegal, but theyā€™ve figured out how far they can push it before they get in trouble.