In Undertale, you can choose to kill monsters — or understand them

[Read the post]

3 Likes

If I don’t kill it, how am I supposed to take its stuff?

4 Likes

It’s worth noting that while you never HAVE to kill anything in Undertale, the game never prevents you from doing so. In fact, with enough obsessive grinding for XP, levels and money, the entire tone and story of the game changes.

I wouldn’t recommend doing this, though. At least not until you’ve seen the happiest possible ending.

There is an astounding level of reactivity, though. Even the smallest, silliest decisions have repercussions. Seldom serious, often hilarious, but it goes a long way to making this cute little 16-bit world feel so very real.

5 Likes

The RPG game

C’mon devs, you should know better than to use unnecessary redundancies.

2 Likes

I’m reminded of the way horror movies frightened me when I was a kid and how I dealt with the resulting night terrors. I pretended that all the monsters from these movies had come to say goodnight to me and keep me company.

Of course, this was back in the sixties, when horror still meant monsters rather than slashers. Hard to imagine making friends with Leatherface.

5 Likes

“Dreadfully hungry,” answered the Tiger, snapping his jaws together with a fierce click. “Then why don’t you eat something?” she asked. “It’s no use,” said the Tiger sadly. “I’ve tried that, but I always get hungry again.” “Why, it is the same with me,” said Dorothy. “Yet I keep on eating.” “But you eat harmless things, so it doesn’t matter,” replied the Tiger. "For my part, I’m a savage beast, and have an appetite for all sorts of poor little living creatures, from a chipmunk to fat babies. “How dreadful!” said Dorothy. “Isn’t it, though?” returned the Hungry Tiger, licking his lips with his long red tongue. “Fat babies! Don’t they sound delicious? But I’ve never eaten any, because my conscience tells me it is wrong. If I had no conscience I would probably eat the babies and then get hungry again, which would mean that I had sacrificed the poor babies for nothing. No; hungry I was born, and hungry I shall die. But I’ll not have any cruel deeds on my conscience to be sorry for.”

6 Likes

Since I just have to see everything, I found it better (for me) to do the terrible cruel playthrough first, because, well, it’s easier, and it’s worse to make friends with everyone and then have to kill them all.

The game seems to encourage this a bit as well - the extreme pacifism playthrough is definitely much easier with some of the skill from your first play, and various plot spoilery things I won’t say.

Either way, it’s glorious. Glad I played it, ecstatic to see my name in the (special) credits, and then I deleted it because my memories of it are just perfect as they are.

2 Likes

I just completed the “real” pacifist ending yesterday. Not only is this game extremely charming, funny, and clever, and not only does it have a genuine heart beating in it, but it’s also really experimental and meta-textual in ways that are surprising and engaging rather than tiresome or show-offy. It’s really, really solid. The only other recent game I’m aware of with a similarly high level of consistent, strong, artistic vision is maybe Kentucky Route Zero. Good stuff.

2 Likes

Amazing game, probably the best RPG I’ve ever played. It’s ambitious, powerful, well written and chock full of content and reactivity and hilarious humour and touching sadness. You can’t really play it wrong, either. Your DETERMINATION will see you through no matter what.

It really is incredibly.

3 Likes

Games like this are exactly why I am glad that Offworld exists - I would have overlooked this gem if it weren’t for this compelling exploration.

3 Likes

Aw, that piñata kid. That’s why you’re supposed to wear a blindfold, like Justice.

Or get a less sympathetic piñata.

3 Likes

I just recently played through what’s available of that and really enjoyed it, so I might have to have a look at this.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.