Income inequality turns "neglected tropic diseases" into American diseases of "the poor living among the wealthy"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2015/08/12/income-inequality-turns-negl.html

2 Likes

But I thought America had the finest health care in the world?

9 Likes

When I was a small child visiting my grandmother in West Virginia, I wasn’t allowed to play in the stream behind her house because of all the people straight-piping their sewage into it…

8 Likes

Just another bit of the horror of living in Obama’s America! /sarcasm

Wait, income inequality producing death for poor and brown people where a weak public health care infrastructure allows disease to run rampant?

Nevermind, that’s Conservative Utopia. Carry on, and good luck in 2016!

9 Likes

Emphasis on the fines.

2 Likes

When I hear “People are only poor because they choose to be” on a regular basis what surprises me is that things aren’t much worse.

9 Likes

I think we’ve got apples and oranges here. Growing income inequality is a recent issue, but these populations have been poor for generations. It’s not Trump’s fault, this time.

Remember when we had public health departments?

1 Like

“They have a lot of mistrust of a tall, bald white man coming to see them,”

These people are living on the fringe!

We’d better criminalize harboring such filthy proletarian diseases. Not only is there a risk that they might infect their betters; doing so will incentivize them to live more cleanly.

6 Likes

And now that the War on Drugs is becoming unfashionable, we’ll call it the War on Disease and still lock up a disproportionate number of black folks!

It’s a win-win!

3 Likes

They aren’t being imprisoned; it’s just that their sense of personal responsibility is so weak that we’ve been forced to resort to a ‘managed freedom’ treatment model. You understand the difference, I’m sure.

6 Likes

“disproportionately affect” not effect.

Just the classiest

1 Like

I see what you are saying…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.