Incredible ASCII-esque artwork made on a vintage typewriter (video)

Originally published at: Incredible ASCII-esque artwork made on a vintage typewriter (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

ASCII, not AASCI.

Otherwise it’d be pronounced ACE-kai, not ASS-key.

8 Likes

It’s not even ASCII. It’s an old typewriter face, what we used to call “Pica” back when I was a typewriter jockey. Manual typewriters don’t include the full ASCII set.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out whether old typewriters are analog. They are mechanical. They want to be digital, as they are operated with our digits, but they are sensitive to finger pressure, alas only in a bad way.

2 Likes

Gotta shout out to Leslie Nichols, in Bowling Green Kentucky, who has been a master of this medium for a long type. Her work is spectacular.

One series:

Another, which focuses on “women in South Central Kentucky who work to make it a better place, especially for women and girls.” These are large-scale portraits.

https://www.leslienicholsart.com/inherwords

She teaches.

7 Likes

Fact I bring up every time somebody relies on “the creators of the GIF say it should be pronounced ‘jif’” as an argument for mispronouncing hard-G GIF: the creators of SCSI (small computers systems interface) said it should be pronounced “sexy,” instead of what everybody else in the world standardized on, which is “scuzzy.”

2 Likes

I once got to build an interface to the predecessor of “sexy”, which was pronounced “sassy”. It was SASI, Sugart Accociates Standard Interface.

3 Likes

Velocity and aftertouch sensitive keyboard!

1 Like

Sassy GIF

4 Likes

Wait, really? I used SCSI peripherals for 20 years and now still use them in the retro computing hobby and I never knew that they wanted us to be calling it “sexy”. You blew my mind a little.

I have used the aforementioned argument for soft-G GIF but you have me questioning all my life choices. I’ll still say “jif” because it sounds nicer to me, but I might stop using that defence for it now.

2 Likes

I see what you did there.

Nah, that’s “ska-si”.
And don’t even get me started on terminators.

It’s been a long time since I heard this fun nugget of trivia, so I just fact-checked myself: Wikipedia confirms!

"Until at least February 1982, ANSI developed the specification as “SASI” and “Shugart Associates System Interface”[7] however, the committee documenting the standard would not allow it to be named after a company. Almost a full day was devoted to agreeing to name the standard “Small Computer System Interface”, which Boucher intended to be pronounced “sexy”, but ENDL’s[8] Dal Allan pronounced the new acronym as “scuzzy” and that stuck.[5]

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.