Incredible deal on a new 10 ¼" Lodge cast iron skillet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2022/02/19/incredible-deal-on-a-new-10-¼-lodge-cast-iron-skillet.html

4 Likes

Can confirm, good deal at $20.00 US. Have cooked on some of my cast iron pot/pans for over 50 years. They just won’t wear out.

10 Likes

Tips for seasoning cast iron:

https://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

(edited)

1 Like

Or, you know, just cook in it and enjoy. Life is too short for arguing about cast iron. (Life is also too short to waste on coddling Teflon pans.)

10 Likes

Can confirm for Canadians it is not so.

And thanks for the reminder to quit Prime. I got some good deals on specialized tools but generally I am finding local vendor prices are better than Amazon.ca.

5 Likes

I use my cast iron skillet a LOT. Several times a week. My favorite thing to make in it is probably cornbread. OK, I really like a seared steak as well (cooked outside in the skillet) but don’t have that too often.
Anyway, I use the below recipe and before I mix the batter, I put the skillet in the oven with a couple tablespoons of canola while it’s pre-heating. When you pour the batter in, it gets nice and fried on the bottom and edges. You can sour the milk a bit if you like with some white vinegar (buttermilk cheat I use in my favorite pancake recipe, too)

10 Likes

You can use bacon grease instead of canola for a boost.

5 Likes

Add corn :corn: pieces soaked in bacon fat, folks will adopt you into their family.

7 Likes

Just ordered one!

2 Likes

I’ve found my local (Houston, TX) grocery stores are pretty good places to buy Lodge pans, frequently cheaper than Amazon. That size is $18 at my local Kroger right now.

4 Likes

This doesn’t seem like that good a deal; am I missing something?

I do own (and like) the pan, and like that it’s US manufactured (it’s nice to know something is, pace the B Arc Golgafrichans among us).

1 Like

Compare it to this one:

I like mine with just a little salt and pepper.

1 Like

What magick is this?

1 Like

Oh, absolutely that; Lodge is my go-to. Teasing apart two possible meanings here: Lodge is, in general, the best deal you’ll get on a cast iron skillet. It’s the sweet spot between quality and cost. It is not, however, a good deal on this pan, compared to its usual price.

3 Likes

Got mine, it was incredible!

We don’t eat a lot of bacon, but that clearly sounds like a great idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.