Incredible time lapse video of coronavirus hospital that China built in just 10 days

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/03/incredible-time-lapse-video-of.html

2 Likes

And how long till it falls apart?
Even with prefab parts that seems quick.

8 Likes

The trick is to get enough boxes just in time, not to stack them.

2 Likes

I know next to nothing about building anything except stuff out of Lego but…can concrete cure that fast (and from the video there seems to be a large amount of it)? From what I read it takes ~ two days for it to cure enough to walk on…

2 Likes

Quality construction is job number 1 in China. I will search for proof… This may take awhile…

4 Likes

They’ve had a lot of practice building ghost cities.

4 Likes

Bejiing built a similar triage hospital in Xiaotangshan in 7 days for SARS 17 years ago. It was mostly abandoned after the crisis but they’re renovating it now in response to Corona with better equipment and I think the pipelines were shot. So I guess at least that long.

4 Likes

Eh, they don’t need it to last that long…

3 Likes

Welcome to the hospital. Feel free to write your name in any wet concrete you find.

1 Like

It’s Fine.

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember the stories about the hastily built Olympics housing. I hope they did better on this.

1 Like

giphy-1

1 Like

You know what, there is a time for quality and a time for great haste. It’s better than a field tent. I think this is amazing that they were able to do it so quickly.

My guess is that this is essentially a disposable building that they won’t need in 6 months and the end of use case may involve burning it down, depending on how “infected” it gets and how the virus ends up being beaten.

6 Likes

Doesn’t matter, this is more for show anyways. They don’t have enough testing kits nor supplies to deal with the sick who make it into existing hospitals (most are being turned away, apparently), many of the sick can’t get to the hospitals in the first place because there’s no transportation, etc.

3 Likes

As with almost everything, it depends:

And of course there are modern alternatives that cure in less time (at greater expense).

3 Likes

As an engineering feat, it’s impressive. I wonder how they are going to supply it with medical gear and staff it though. Presumably they’re just robbing from other parts of the country?

theres a very large well known consumer products company (and probably their major competitors as well) that just had a subcontractor build several new factories in China around the new year.

Sounds like the foundations weren’t built correctly and the buildings are collapsing.

An aisle or 3 worth of stuff that would normally be found at large retailers will likely be replaced with other products

1 Like

People are going to get sick from the smell of all that paint drying!

The Queen seems to manage.

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/queen-thinks-world-smells-fresh-paint/1416413

1 Like

And internment camps

3 Likes