India's e-waste recycling "markets" are toxic nightmares filled with child laborers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/three-dollars-a-day.html

2 Likes

Not to make light of this tragedy, but Futurama had a keen satirical take on this abuse:

Sad that this was created years ago and this is still going on.

4 Likes

I can’t find it now, but I hear the conditions are similar for our prison slave laborers who we use to do some e-recycling in the US. No safety equipment, no fume extraction, etc.

4 Likes

Hard to fathom. There but for the cosmic accident of birth go I.

5 Likes

From the very small to the very large, the Indian subcontinent is the world’s extremely unsafe recycling centre. Why worry about toxic waste when you can just ship the things far away and let poor brown people deal with the problem?

6 Likes

Libertarian paradise… /s

6 Likes

They’re not “toxic fumes”, they’re “freedom fumes”.

2 Likes

These people are working at these jobs because they have no better opportunities. What they need are safer higher paying jobs. Eliminating the waste will just eliminate their current jobs.

1 Like

What they need are governments that enforce basic worker safety regulations on their employers so that their jobs are safe. And basic environmental regulations so that their employers are not permitted to destroy the health and safety of everyone in the neighbourhood in order to maximize profits.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.