Indicted Dieselgate VW execs advised not to leave Germany, lest they be extradited to the USA

The Nuremberg trials were conducted before Germany was a country.

“Germany” didn’t exist as a political entity in any meaningful way between May '45 and May '49. The Trials were in '45 and '46 … and, as you say, conducted on German soil anyway.

10 Likes

At least during the military occupation proper the allies could bypass the German legal system entirely even after the foundation of the Federal Republic. I don’t know until when, but it should be at least 1955.

And although the system was notoriously superficial, 2.5 million people had been processed by tribunals before the new Republic.

4 Likes

The EU Regs for NOX emissions are more lax than the USA ones, VW were still breaking them.

The EU emissions tests are a lot less ‘real world’ than the US ones in practice- Manufacturers quote some wild fuel economy claims that cars never reach in the real world. Fiat’s Twinair engine is a prime example- quoted as around 70MPG in the 500, in the real world they average around 46MPG.

The taxation system of most countries is based around this. As an example, someone buying the aformentioned Fiat would pay no UK Car tax, whereas my 12 year old car which in the real world would have roughly the same CO2 emissions pays £185/yr, and that’s at the lower end of the spectrum.

2 Likes

Could you imagine the police abuse? “Your lifetime of vagrancy has cost society the equivalent of half a cop’s salary, and cops save lots of lives”

5 Likes

Incidentally, my bike gets around 95MPG on a motorway cruise.

And will do 0-100km/h in about three seconds.

2 Likes

Could it be structured similar to the laws used to break the Mob back in the day - “there’s nothing we can specifically pin on you, but there is no way you can support your current lifestyle on the income implied by the taxes you’re paying, therefore we’re going to do you for tax evasion”? Although I suppose that’s open to police abuse too.

And with great schadenfreude we could (possibly) execute them in a Schrodinger’s Cat apparatus.

But lots of Nazis have turned up since. (Though not necessarily German ones – the last alleged concentration-camp guard I read about getting tried was Ukrainian, and he’d been living in the US.)

1 Like

Pursuit of members of the Nazi party by the occupying powers also went on the back burner when “useful” people were needed for the cold war. A lot of people who did very well in the post war years had a bit of a history, shall we say.

1 Like

Or not…

2 Likes

Any of them extradited from Germany?

1 Like

The “crime” was not committed in the US, so please tell me why they must be charged in the US? That would be like if I posted a youtube video from my home in the US, that was illegal in North Korea, so I must be charged with a crime in another country? You all got free money from VW and a bunch of other stuff. Quit the entitlement.

The crime was committed here and yes, it was a crime. They contrived to subvert US law for their economic gain (at the expense of public health and environmental health). VW has business dealings in the US and has a rather large business unit here, and they must answer to US law. It’s a multinational, not a corporation that only operates out of Germany now.

You’re example is irrelevant, as NK has no business dealings here in the US, nor private corporations which operate (in part) out of the US. You are not a corporation, you are a private individual. If you go to NK and break their laws, then you’d be subject to their laws (but as the US government doesn’t see the government as legitimate, you’d be bailed out if our government thought your arrest would cause a big enough stink, internationally).

I think you need a primer on how corporations work, especially internationally.

3 Likes

The crime occurred across the entire world.

Every one of those fuckers should be rotting in prison. Don’t much care where.

2 Likes

It would appear not. Some facing extradition to Germany, but I can’t find any extradited from there. The Dutch tried for over 50 years to get Klaas Carel-Faber, a Dutch collaborator who escaped from a Dutch prison, extradited from Germany (as a foreign member of the Waffen SS, he acquired German citizenship under a 1943 law): he eventually died, still free.

I confess I can’t remember what the point of my original reply was.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.