Inhale perfluorobutane if you want a voice even deeper than sulphur hexafluoride offers

Originally published at: Inhale perfluorobutane if you want a voice even deeper than sulphur hexafluoride offers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6)

21 Likes

Seconded.

19 Likes

Yeah, it is a deep voice; but it is no Barry White.

2 Likes

Fyi inhaling helium and other gasses like these can potentially be dangerous, at a minimum can make you pass out but for the heavier gasses if you don’t purge your lungs afterwards it can cause asphyxiation

15 Likes

Does that involve hanging upside down?

3 Likes

I think leaning forward will do if you really wanted to be on the safe side but just deeply exhaling a few times would be more than sufficient :slight_smile:

6 Likes

<basso profundo>
I’ll stick to uranium hexafluoride, thanks!
</basso profundo>

6 Likes

My understanding is that the gas doesn’t actually make your voice deeper, it just changes the timbre, muting the upper harmonics, and emphasizing the lower frequencies. But those were already there. So it doesn’t make your voice deeper (or more “manly”, whatever that means), it just shows you how deep your voice actually goes. Very cool, in any case.

4 Likes

I heard Barry White inhaled that stuff once but when he started singing it awoke the Great Old Ones.

8 Likes

Still better than the brown note…

3 Likes

Walrus of the Deep.

Yikes.

3 Likes

I think I went to high school with that guy. Hasn’t changed a bit.

2 Likes

and it’s 8860 times as strong a greenhouse gas as CO2!

3 Likes

Yup – Lower speed of sound from the denser gas changes the frequencies that resonate in your mouth/throat to the lower ones. But they were always there, as you say.

2 Likes

Sadly, Thurl Ravenscroft isn’t around to give a real demo of this stuff. Probably’d be so low only elephants could hear it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Well, it depends a lot. The thing is, Fluorine is extremely reactive. Fluorination is stronger than oxidation. But this also means that once Fluorine has reacted with something, it takes a lot of energy to dislodge it, so the resulting compound is very inert. So, something like Dioxygen Difluoride that can break apart easily in Fluorine and Oxygen to then go and fluorinate/oxidate everything in sight is a nightmare, but as a contrast PTFE is relatively safe as cooking pot liner.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.