Injured trail runner crawled for eight hours in sub-freezing temperatures to safety

What do you think the winchman has ont he back of their helmet?

After some real world learning experiences I always bring the basic ten hiking. But I could totally see how a runner could get further, faster, and end up SOL without gear. If I ever take up trail running I’ll remember this. (Not actually going to happen.)

Outdoor online recently posted a great article to FB about a guy out for a hike who left his pack at the tree line, couldn’t find his pack, got lost, and then called rescue services, but instead of staying there and waiting for them decided to walk out, eventually walking the flesh off of his own feet and needing a double amputation of said feet as well as one hand. Life lesson: a survival pack does you NO good if you walk away from it.

I should say the trail running isn’t going to happen. I’ll remember survival gear.

The amount of gear I carry on a trail run is a subject of constant change.

How far is the run?
How fast do I need to go to finish in a reasonable time?
Am I solo, or with a friend or friends?
What is the weather?
How remote?
What is the get-lost risk?

Gear = weight, which slows you down. Plus a heavier pack is more likely to chafe (me). Too much stuff, and you can’t really run. Too little and you could be totally unprepared. Working in an ER near the mountains has taught me that people get hurt within 100 yards of their car and can’t make it to safety despite their gear, and people get hurt miles from anything and get out alive. There’s a good bit of luck involved, no matter your fitness or your gear or your preparedness or your planning. You can plan well and still get have everything go haywire. I’m glad this fellow made it!

2 Likes

While this is true, survival essentials are only a few pounds. If you can’t run with that, I’d say you can’t trail run safely in the back country.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.