Injured trail runner crawled for eight hours in sub-freezing temperatures to safety

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/injured-trail-runner-crawled-f.html

5 Likes

Good call.

If you’re heading out, after dark in winter, to forest trails where there’s no communications, do please either go with a partner or carry an emergency beacon.

9 Likes

If you’re soloing in the back country at all, carry basic equipment for an overnight stay whether or not you think you’ll need it.

This person’s injury was especially severe, but at his level of ill-equipment a simple sprained ankle could have turned life-threatening.

8 Likes

Or at least tell someone where you’ll be and when to expect you back.

5 Likes

Jesus. Just hope this isn’t all a setup to promote his “Eight hour crawl your way to fitness” book.

8 Likes

As an avid runner I think trail running is kind of dumb, you’re asking for a twisted ankle miles from a road, and you’re bound to eventually surprise a mother bear with cubs or a rattler sunning itself on a rock. I’m not about to stop anyone from doing it, but if I’m venturing well into the back country I’ll have a pack and camping gear, and take my time.

3 Likes

Looks like he’s ready to run the West coast Trail on Vancouver Island BC. Canada. People run this in 1 full day "The WestCoastTrail is a 75-km backpacking route that follows the southwestern edge of Vancouver Island, BC. Built in 1907 to facilitate the rescue of shipwreck survivors along the coast, it is now part of Pacific Rim National Park and is rated as one of the most grueling and picturesque treks in North America. Isolated, physically challenging and potentially hazardous, it is a “choose your own adventure” with sections ranging from beach to trail to cable car to ladder. " I hiked this in 8 days (leisurely pace) I don’t quite get the draw of running into danger.

1 Like

Pretty crazy story but i’m glad the guy’s ok.

Story time:

I knew a guy in my last year of high school when i was an exchange student out in some small town in the middle of nowhere Nevada. The guy loved to ride quad bikes and owned a high performance one for racing, he was out on an off road dirt track and the section after a jump had severely been eroded and washed out recently, which he did not notice until he was mid-jump and plummeted into a bigger fall than he anticipated. He broke his legs and didn’t have his phone on him, he crawled to the side of the road somehow and tried flagging people down from an embankment. No one noticed him and drove past, a friend coincidentally spotted him and thought he was waving hello to which he waved back and kept going. Eventually someone did spot him but i forget how long he was out there.

5 Likes

As an avid trail runner, I think road running is REALLY dumb. I’ve almost been hit by a lot more distracted (drunk?) drivers than I’ve ever seen bears (who leave you alone, anyway). Pavement hurts after a while. I’m just as apt to trip on crappy road surfaces as I am over rocks or roots, because you can’t really lose focus on your footing. And the fucking woods are awesome!

6 Likes

Just reading that made mine detach too.

5 Likes

Sure, road running can be rough, but I typically run through parks and on small side roads so traffic is never an issue. Local nature trails are also a favorite, but “trail running” to me is driving well outside the city to run someplace remote, which I consider a waste of gasoline.

I think both road and trail running are more likely to result in better health and happiness that likely outweighs the risk of either, but the areas people live in may partly determine which is better. I’ve lived in remote-ville, where there were comfortable trails vs. narrowish no-shoulder roads where people aren’t expecting and aren’t courteous to a pedestrian/runner/biker, and bigger city area with abundant parks with miles of pavement. Personal preference is huge in a person’s motivation to run, so anything that makes a runner overall more happy to run is likely worth listening to.

5 Likes

At least nobody shot him.

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

Doctors HATE this one weird trick!

3 Likes

This. If I’m on any kind of back-trail hike under 4 hours I carry a very small fanny pack with waterproof matches, water purification, a 1-gallon ziplok, a mylar survival blanket, a razor blade, sewing needle, fishing line, and a length of cord. It weighs all of 8 ounces. Over 4 hours but under 12 I carry a slightly large pack with more ways of making fire and purifying water, as well as some soup base, and a few other small things.

2 Likes

And thats a lesson for all of us, folks: Don’t go outside.

5 Likes

Waterproof jacket, polypro or wool top and some spare food is generally all I take. Though I do make sure that I have let people know the approximate route I am taking and when I am expected back which would reduce the search area if ever needed. Not that I have ever needed assistance when in the wild.

2 Likes

Same. But if I do, they’re going to find me next to a cozy fire drinking from a bag of water. lol