Inside China's censorship factories, where young censors learn to erase history

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/china-censorship-business.html

Hopefully, some of the trainees will end up being dissidents after they have learned what nobody is supposed to know.

13 Likes

There’s a good chance that whichever member of the 50 Cent Army shows up in this topic to deny and/or defend this practise will have spent some part of his illustrious career working for the censorship apparatus as well.

11 Likes

I’ll bet they don’t even get the cool pneumatic tube delivery system or slick wood-trimmed data consoles that were promised to us in “1984.”

10 Likes

You mean Brazil?

7 Likes

Erased? History has been expertly curated.

11 Likes

Is their motto “Truth isn’t truth” ?

1 Like

Maybe I’m just too sugar-addled from holiday leftovers to understand the difference, but how is digital censorship of specific historical topics qualitatively or functionally different than 1) Facebook and Googles’ attempts to enforce real names for all users, 2) educational material battles fought by dark monied revisionists to recast motives and outcomes, or 3) relying on opaque, hopelessly dense, and binding terms of service for the usage of these various privately-held media monopolies?

1 Like

Ah, professional censors, that’s what they were planning on doing with all the workers replaced by robots.

1 Like

I work in software localization and Beyondsoft is one of our suppliers of translations. Wonder if it’s time to re-examine our relationship before we send them any of our, uh, content for, um, review.

5 Likes

But at least the chocolate ration has been increased!

2 Likes

Dark monied American revisionists fight to censor school textbooks. Chinese government censors have control over all books, newspapers, radio, television, ffilm, theatre, music, websites, etc.

8 Likes

Hopefully it will end better than Nineteen Eighty-Four did.

2 Likes

2 Likes

“If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.”

Don’t worry, any concern about practices like this can be completely dismissed with the words “Freeze Peach”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.