Insurance companies create the Internet of Things You Can't Get Away From

[Permalink]

1 Like

I guess there’s still AAA - they barely have a website. They’re probably at least a decade away from being organized enough to move forward with black-box monitoring.

1 Like

Mix in government forcing people to have insurance, and you’ve got a recipe for dystopia.

Insurance distributes the consequences of “bad things”, but does nothing to reduce those consequences. The more that responsibility is allocated to those able to actually reduce the incidence of “bad things” (drive slower - don’t rely on insurance to fix the car after you prang it, or, eat healthier - don’t rely on insurance to fix your heart-attack or diabetes etc), the lower the economic cost to society as a whole. The sorts of data-driven approaches discussed in the linked discussions and sites can theoretically achieve a move in that direction, but there is a point where our societal well-being is better served by sharing the consequences, to ensure that a morally optimum solution is achieved. In pure economic terms, this may appear more costly, of course (and result in lower bonuses to insurance company execs).

4 Likes

many likes

believe the government ALREADY forces people to have insurance. least auto and health insurance.

My favorite part about this is that people can’t seem to wrap their head around the latest health findings. My family is prone to obesity. I eat healthy. I work out and my family as a whole is NOT at a higher risk for heart disease(historically). But it’s basically to the point now where I’m going to have to start paying higher premiums or deal with a constant bombardment of hormones telling my brain that I’m starving to death. And as far as the insurance company and most people are concerned, this isn’t even an issue.

2 Likes

Balderdash. If you don’t drive, no auto insurance is required. (And even if you do drive, not all states require it.) The Federal government does not require you to get health insurance, either; they just ask you to pay a fee if you decline to do so.

…or get it from your employer, or your spouse’s employer, or your union, or Medicare, or Medicaid, or Tricare, or the VA. There’s probably a few other options.

People with no insurance get their health care at the emergency room. And who pays for that? For the most part, taxpayers do. So asking the free-riders to pay a little extra seems fair to me.

I had intended to sign up for the monitoring service associated with my State Farm auto insurance so I could get a discount. In the process of signing up I took the time to read all the user agreements from the various companies (not State Farm) who did the monitoring and supply the equipment. When I got to the one which required me to release the provider from liability due to anything, even intentional fraud, I changed my mind.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.