Intellectual jokes

A great Reddit thread asked readers for their favorite “intellectual” joke – some of the high-ranked ones are really good! Q: What does the “B” in Benoit B. Mandelbrot stand for? A: Benoit B. Mandelbrot. (balloseater) It’s hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally. (Watch_Closely I’d tell you a UDP… READ THE REST

Charlie Stross: Bitcoin should die in a fire
Scientists' favourite jokes

As has already been mentioned on reddit, most of these jokes are a bit too STEM-centric to count as intellectual in my book.

There’s one Sartre joke in there. That’s doing pretty good for redditors.

Over 16,000 comments and rising, not a pleasant experience to read the thread, given Reddit’s unwieldy design - “load more comments” every 20 comments, “load more comments” that are nested.

My favorite intellectual joke, which I didn’t see there:

How many Marxists does it take to change a light bulb?

None, because the seeds of the revolution are in the light bulb itself.

How can you tell who the topologists are?
They don’t know the difference between their coffee mug and their donut.

A tachyon walks out of a bar. The bartender says “We don’t serve your kind here.” A tachyon walks into a bar.

I still like Victor Hugo’s, Immanis pecoris custos immanior ipse.

A sculptor walks into a bar.
The bartender says, “Hey, what’ll ya have?”
The sculptor orders a bud.

(punch line added later)

Bartender says, “That’s it?”

Sculptor replies that it is not his job to entertain you.

I’ve been trying to comment on that Mandelbrot joke but I keep getting a recursion error.

Schrödinger’s cat walks into a bar…
and doesn’t.

Just don’t look at it.

There’s a few more here http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2013/06/whats-the-most-intellectual-joke-you-know.html

This might fit your criteria better:

Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?
Knock knock
Who’s there?

Phillip Glass

Know any good jokes about sodium?
Na.

Steve Wright, got it right saying, “the thought of killing myself is the only thing that keeps me going.”

I built a peom

without backfilling

It Sank.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don’t.

If you have an account you can set it to show up to 500 comments per page, and then you’ll want to set it to sort comments by “best” (there’s a drop-down for that on the comment page itself) - which if you just want to casually read a massive comment thread like this is usually better than “top” or any of the other choices.

And then hit “hide all child comments” - the nested comments are people having side discussions (explaining the joke, discussing variations) and there won’t be new jokes there. Well, people will piggy-back on the popularity of another joke by replying to it with their own joke, but whatever.

I do agree that it’s unwieldly, but it just takes some getting used to. I think it’s the best system out there - it handles small discussion threads (as small as those on boingboing) as well as absolutely massive ones equally well (as well as is possible anyway).

But I stopped regularly looking at reddit half a year or so ago, and don’t miss it. Massive time sink, and way too easy to get into arguments there :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this one counts since it’s from a TV show and TV generally isn’t considered intellectual. But I think it’s probably funniest if you know the ancient Egyptian gods.

A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard’s eyes glow. The Horus guard’s beak glistens. The Setesh guard’s nose drips.

It might be better if Teal’c tells it.

What constitutes an intellectual joke?